Search the forum,

Discuss Help with floor prep! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Julz77

Hi all

Looking for a wee bit of advice on how to go about preping a concrete floor for a new tiles. Its a bathroom floor and I imagine it wil be in some state by the time the old tiles are up.!

Would I be best to use a SLC (which brand is best/easiest to work with?) and then SBR? any ideas on the quickest drying times on brands?

What should i use as a barrier for when pouring the SLC?

The girl I am doing the work for has been told by her plumber that she doesnt need to bother with a tanking system on the walls around the shower/bath just use a water proof grout? Is that something you guys would do?

Her plumber has also said that the bath needs to be taken out with the loo/sink, for the floor to be tiled. Is that normal as the same bath is going back in the same place?

sorry if these sound like daft questions! But appreciate all your help!

Julie

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Okay first ask this girl if she knows another plumber.
Pan and basin out until tiling complete.
Bath should be fixed before tiling commences.
No such thing as waterproof grout unless you go the epoxy route so if the shower/bath substrate is water sensitive then
you really should tank.
For tanking I use Weber Floor flex and Weber 360 primer - easy to use and fast setting. I use strips of balsa wood and a glue gun for barriers.

J

Julz77

Okay first ask this girl if she knows another plumber.
Pan and basin out until tiling complete.
Bath should be fixed before tiling commences.
No such thing as waterproof grout unless you go the epoxy route so if the shower/bath substrate is water sensitive then
you really should tank.
For tanking I use Weber Floor flex and Weber 360 primer - easy to use and fast setting. I use strips of balsa wood and a glue gun for barriers.

Thanks Macten

Yeah was a bit wary of what her plumber told her, esp about the bath and no need to tank. Going to ring him tomo as he also reccommended mermaid board for the ceiling which i think would look crap against her expensive tiles

Thanks for the reccommendation for products/barriers too.

all advice always appreciated!

cheers

Julie

B

bugs183

Mermaid boarding yuk!!!!
Why do people listen to these divs?????
Get the plumber to fit the bath, but when he does make sure he screws a wooden batten under the roll of the bath. This will stop it moving when in use, this is a major cause of leaks, and virtually no plumbers do this.
Certainly tank, run a water proof tape such as mapeband onto the bath where the tiles will sit, this makes it bombproof.
Another quick way of stemming the flow of the levelling compound is to use gun grade 'Instastick' form Screwfix, its a low expansion expansion foam, just gun a strip of that on the floor, it sets in minutes, really handy stuff.

J

Julz77

Mermaid boarding yuk!!!!
Why do people listen to these divs?????
Get the plumber to fit the bath, but when he does make sure he screws a wooden batten under the roll of the bath. This will stop it moving when in use, this is a major cause of leaks, and virtually no plumbers do this.
Certainly tank, run a water proof tape such as mapeband onto the bath where the tiles will sit, this makes it bombproof.
Another quick way of stemming the flow of the levelling compound is to use gun grade 'Instastick' form Screwfix, its a low expansion expansion foam, just gun a strip of that on the floor, it sets in minutes, really handy stuff.

Hi Bugs

Yeah that was my reaction to the mermaid board, she has spent £500 on tiles so why she would even consider it is mental! Have said to her that I think it would look totally daft!
Will defo say to the plumber about the batten, great idea! and the instastick!

Just out of nosey-ness (true to my gender.....) What brand tanking/adhesive do you use? have used BAL in the past but hellishly expensive! Any cheaper decent alternative recommendatiosn appreciated

Cheers

j :)

B

bugs183

I don't rate the Bal, i don't think it sticks that well from what i've found.
Price wise their all about the same give or take. I use Mapei Aqua defense and Mapeband.Really good stuff, dries quickly and never had a problem. I apply it with a short hair roller and it gives a really nice roughish texture for the tiles adhesive to stick too. The adhesive should be cement based by the way. Tubbed isn't all that good and won't dry or stick to the Aqua defense.

J

Julz77

I don't rate the Bal, i don't think it sticks that well from what i've found.
Price wise their all about the same give or take. I use Mapei Aqua defense and Mapeband.Really good stuff, dries quickly and never had a problem. I apply it with a short hair roller and it gives a really nice roughish texture for the tiles adhesive to stick too. The adhesive should be cement based by the way. Tubbed isn't all that good and won't dry or stick to the Aqua defense.

Thanks for that Bugs, Have bought the Mapei stuff, now just to start planning the tiling for the window revel!..

:)

Reply to Help with floor prep! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen