Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help with external corner please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Nut

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
My builder has tiled my bathroom with bevelled tiles but I am left with an external corner where 2 levels meet on the bottom row and 2 cut, straight edges meet on the top row which leaves a big difference in the gap between the bottom and top row of tiles where the corner meets. I have been advised to cover this with 8mm trim but there is no other trim on the tiles (the grout is blended into the wall on the top and it is masticked on the bottom. Can anyone please advise if putting the trim on will work under these circumstances or will it make thing worse?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the situation please.

OP
N

Nut

TF
Reaction score
Here you go. Thanks

20190718_102629.jpg

Reaction score
It will not improve it unfortunately, because the rest of the job is poorly done and looks unprofessional.
Uneven grout lines and lippage for starters. The internal corner is also poorly done, as are the cuts. That top grout line needs scraping out.
If you really want it to look good get a professional tiler in. Being brutally honest, some trim isn't going to fix this and, as you point out , it would look weird being the only piece of trim on the whole job.

OP
N

Nut

TF
Reaction score
It will not improve it unfortunately, because the rest of the job is poorly done and looks unprofessional.
Uneven grout lines and lippage for starters. The internal corner is also poorly done, as are the cuts. That top grout line needs scraping out.
If you really want it to look good get a professional tiler in. Being brutally honest, some trim isn't going to fix this and, as you point out , it would look weird being the only piece of trim on the whole job.
Thanks Steve. Why do you think the top grouting needs scraping out and what would you replace it with? What is lippage?

Reaction score
If you zoom in on the top grout line it's looks very messy. Whether he'd used grout, caulk or silicone across the top of the tiles it wouldn't have killed him to run a profiling tool across it to scrape off the excess and make it look neater. I'd probably have used silicone there as it's a bathroom but I could be wrong on that. A nice trim could work too.
That external corner would have looked so much better if it was mitred, but a trim would look nice.
Lippage is where an edge of one tile is not exactly flush with the edge of the next tile, so there is a lip because one sits slightly higher than the other.

OP
N

Nut

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. The grouting on the top isn't bad but it's the green paint that isn't very level. I might be able to straighten it up by painting with a straight edge a little lower. The tiles are actually in the kitchen but I think they would have looked better with a trim. Thank you for your advice.

D

Dumbo

Take off the offending tiles get 2 more tiles cut them a bit longer and chamfer of the back at 45 degrees then it will match the bottom tile .

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Whilst your at it, might want to change the bonding , as it’s brick bond, half tile should follow on the end, of the full tile, as it would appear on a brick corner.

OP
N

Nut

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for yours and everyone elses advice. This is a holiday let so I'm going to use some trim on the external corner and cover the dodgy area with a kettle! Unfortunately I don't have the time to get another tiler in. Lesson learned on this one.

W

WetSaw

I find it quite frustrating what owners feel is acceptable in a holiday let or rental property. I look after holiday lets here in Spain and I'm dropping one owner this year because of our differences over what is acceptable for clients who have paid hard earned money for their holiday. The same for my house in the UK. If I wouldn't live with it I don't see why a tenant should have to.
No offence intended, just sharing my opinion!

Reply to Help with external corner please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock