Currently reading:
Help! Grout and silicone problem - bathroom just retiled

Discuss Help! Grout and silicone problem - bathroom just retiled in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jambourie

Hello,

I had my bathroom retiled a couple of weeks ago. Floors were tiled with large square grey tiles with white grout and walls with white brick tiles with grey grout. There are a couple of problems with the work the tiler did:
- The grout on the floor tiles has already cracked (hairline cracks) and is crumbling away. He has tried to cover this up in some places with silicone which does not look good.
- In the internal tile corners on the walls he has used white silicone over grey grout, which has sort of smudged together and ended up looking dirty.
- Generally the silicone looks messy and dirty.

I will attach some pictures to show you examples of this. Is this normal? Surely the job should be neater than this? What has gone wrong?

Is it normal that they grey grout looks darker when wet? Should he have sealed this?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG00604-20121024-1941.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG00605-20121024-1941.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG00606-20121024-1942.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG00607-20121024-1942.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG00608-20121024-1942.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG00609-20121024-1942.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG00612-20121024-1943.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG00613-20121024-1943.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG00614-20121024-1943.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG00615-20121024-1944.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG00616-20121024-1944.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG00617-20121024-1944.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 123
J

jambourie

Thank you all, I thought this wasn't right. I did speak to him about the wobbly grout and he said it was hard to get it straight with the small tiles and spaces and grey grout. But then he finished the job while I was away, and the worst bit by far is the edging with grout and silicone, and the cracked grout on the floor. What has gone wrong with the grey grout? Why does it look so clumpy and messy? I'm wondering if even I could have done this better myself :(

B

Bubblecraft

You should say that overall, you are not happy with the finish. That is absolute rubbish about the grout on the walls. It's just not been done properly. It has been rushed. As I have said in my previous post, your hairline cracks on the floor have been caused by failing to prepare the substrate correctly or incorrect adhesive used. This could be a number of things but unfortunately, if this is how it is now soon after grouting, it can only get worse! There is no excuse for the state of the silicone. It has been applied while grout is still wet which has caused it to mix & discolour. He's also trying to either cover up large gaps with the silicone or the nozzle has been cut too large.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surrey
makes me really sad to see this i am sitting at home with no work and guys out there doing this kind of work !, not acceptable

And herein lies part of the problem. Home owners get a price from a pro tiler (insert bricklayer, chippy etc as appropriate) and the price is too high so they shop around and end up with something like the above job - I've seen it loads of times with most trades. The poor pro tiler like yourself is out of work and the chancers are busy, there's no justice.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the OP opted for a cut price cheap job (although thats what they ended up with) but I sincerely hope it didn't cost much.

J

jambourie

Actually I got a few quotes for the job and he wasn't the cheapest. He seemed to know what he was doing and he had glowing reviews on ratedpeople.com. The problem is finding a tradesman when you don't know anyone else who's had similar work done. He is coming back next week so I will list the problems and hope that he can sort it, otherwise I will have to find someone to fix it.

Thanks everyone for your help. At least now I have the confidence to confront him about it!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I bet he didn't turn up in a van, more like on a horse and left it tied up outside.

As previously said, make a list of all the problems that have been spoken about and present it to him. Ask him what he is going to do about it and let him answer. I'm guessing that it will be a load of waffle and excuses.

This guy has never fitted a tile properly in his life if that standard is anything to go by.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Awful setting out
Bad levels and and uneven joints
Sloppy and inaccurate cuts
Terrible grouting
Terrible siliconing on top of wet grout which gives the dirty look and also makes the silicone useless
Incorrect prep of floor or wrong adhesive used

So on balance - everything has been done wrong/badly.
Only way forward is to rip out and start again.

Reply to Help! Grout and silicone problem - bathroom just retiled in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.