Search the forum,

Discuss Hello Everyone Opinions Needed. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jackh1994

hello, I am a new to this forum and seeking some help and advice. recently done abit of labouring for a tiler, on the weekends and its made me think about re training in to this trade. I have already completed a 4 year apprenticeship in welding but just not a career I want to do anymore/or see my self having a future in. but I've asked a few peoples opinion and majority have said "being 22 your too old to re train now you've missed the boat" what's your opinions on this? any replies appreciated.

T

Tile Shop

hello, I am a new to this forum and seeking some help and advice. recently done abit of labouring for a tiler, on the weekends and its made me think about re training in to this trade. I have already completed a 4 year apprenticeship in welding but just not a career I want to do anymore/or see my self having a future in. but I've asked a few peoples opinion and majority have said "being 22 your too old to re train now you've missed the boat" what's your opinions on this? any replies appreciated.

Strangley enough, we have been talking about this in another thread. And my opinion is "COMPLETE RUBBISH".

Never too late. If its your goal, just go for it. I'm 37, have a day job and am looking for a career change into tiling, and I will do it. As many will tell you, labouring for an experienced tiler is the best way to pick up tips and techniques. But there are some "hand-on" courses for all levels of tiling, whether you are a beginner, or an experienced tiler looking to refresh his knowledge. These courses in some cases can also lead to qualifications if that is something that is important to you.

UKTT is going to be my choice when i get to that stage, and they've had people of all ages. They not only teach tiling, but also how to set yourself up as a tiling business.

We have a local guy who took early retirement from the police at 55. Spent some spare time doing some DIY at home and found a love for tiling. Pursued it and three years later, he'd be up the in my list of recommendations. He too did a course, labouring, got an NVQ and a CSCS card, started working on sites under supervision and he now only does domestic and doesn't need to advertise because of his exemplary reputation.

Whoever told you that its too late at still a very young age, needs a swift kick in the goolies and be told to keep his nose out of it. Better still, go prove him wrong :)

I'm sure everyone here will be able to offer you any guidance you may need. Good Luck and hope it works out for you.

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF. I didn't come into tiling til I was 27. Best life choice I've ever made, will be going into my 10th year of trading this summer.

J

jackh1994

Thanks alot for the advice everyone, these replies no longer doubt my chances of doing it now. I have £10,000 saved up to support my self. For low wages from either labouring, or working for free just to gain the priceless experience from a experienced tiler. As a tiling course goes I've never thought about that anyone else done one? How much are they?

U

Unused Account 1

Go to college a few days a week ,tiling courses are available,i worked with a tiler ,while going to college ,much better ,good luck

J

jackh1994

going to have a look at courses to do then, and see if i can find any tilers willing to give me a chance :).

S

Stef

I've been tiling 12 years now on my own & worked with a tiler just over 2 years & im 43.
29 roughly when I started so your never too old.

J

jackh1994

I am Arnold way mate. Started at 29 fair play what was you doing before if you don't mind me asking ?

S

Stef

I am Arnold way mate. Started at 29 fair play what was you doing before if you don't mind me asking ?
Dump truck driver, joiners labourer, painter, almost time served brickie, suspended ceiling fixer, life guard & washed coal in Tilbury B power station when I was 18.
A bit of everything before I got into tiling & haven't looked back.
Been a struggle at times but reaping the rewards of working hard & leaving a professional finish on all my work.

W

White Room

Dump truck driver, joiners labourer, painter, almost time served brickie, suspended ceiling fixer, life guard & washed coal in Tilbury B power station when I was 18.
A bit of everything before I got into tiling & haven't looked back.
Been a struggle at times but reaping the rewards of working hard & leaving a professional finish on all my work.
That's a variation if I've ever read one:)

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
You are never too old !

My late Mum retrained at 45 to become a teacher. She began with having to do her gcse's, a levels, then a degree and to complete her massive accomplishment, her PGCE.

This was a tough time for us all however she did it and became a very well respected teacher of English for secondary schools.

I only now understand just how hard that was for her.

Do not let anyone tell you any different. You can be anything you want to be.

peace out

J

jackh1994

Fair few jobs there lol but fair play, I've heard all sorts of negativity when I tell people. Was either join the royal marines or re train in a new trade.

Reply to Hello Everyone Opinions Needed. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen