Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss hand made terracotta iles from nicaragua in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

anyone fixed tiles from here before!!

all time first for me.
ive had an enquiry come in today and looks very interesting.
strange shaped and curved interlocking tiles with squares .
i have seen similar in guatamala but never fixed .
think they will be ultra porous 2014-02-12 21.55.25.jpg

J

jonnyc

Yes I am sure there are other pieces inc possibly small semi circles.interesting one to price.but no way I will give day rate.
i like the challenge of estimating and costing any job.i would only give a client option of day rate to dig up a floor.never to tile it(!!

J

jonnyc

Well when I have more info and module pattern we should all have crack at a labour cost.will keep the cost of getting out to Nicaragua separate to make it easier!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Some of the best coffee comes from Nicaragua. Need a hand!
Hope it's the boiled linseed oil white spirit route topped by the buffed traffic wax!
Interesting pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

Some of the best coffee comes from Nicaragua. Need a hand!
Hope it's the boiled linseed oil white spirit route topped by the buffed traffic wax!
Interesting pattern.
John not wax I used to hate that method:yikes: and no good on corrillo to porous. he he mind you I still have two 12 inch polishing machines from days before I changed my ways

J

jonnyc

i need to see samples but my guess is that they are really really porous like the mexican red terracotta i used to fixed many years ago. In which case more porous than mexican saltillos.
will need to try various options but i have to say that i always liked the boiled linseed and wax that fired earth suggested when they started out, provided clour darkening is not an issue.
the american liquid seals that elon used to use (duraseal 500? was necessary for their saltillos just to stop the salt polyps exploding at random even years down the line.
but there were many accrylic sealers from castelnau and tiles of newport, pc1 and 3 from paris ceramics and many others.
my mother certainly remembers the time i borrowed her mini and put the soaked cloths with boiled linseed oil in her boot and set her car on fire on the A303.
i think this was the first time fired earth had this problem but they took no notice and a house caught fire not long after when a tiler left rags in a rubbish bin in a house!!!

J

jonnyc

John not wax I used to hate that method:yikes: and no good on corrillo to porous. he he mind you I still have two 12 inch polishing machines from days before I changed my ways
are you intersted in sellling them !!!
i much prefer the old machines with more weight and i have three crown pinion 15 inch machines that we use for cleaning /buffing .
by the way still not finished in lama country just down from you.
i dare not call client to see how he is getting on in case he has another project to start and never finish !!

P

Perry

John I think I had the best answer to those porous mex terracotta. I keep those polishers sometimes use them for cleaning.

Reply to hand made terracotta iles from nicaragua in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks