Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Glazed polished porcelain need sealing? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all.

I have Wickes Olympia Grey Sandstone tiles. On the box they are described as "Glazed Polished Porcelain"

I have searched widely on T'net. General opinion is that glazed porcelain doesn't need sealing, but that polished porcelain does due to the polishing process opening micro pores.

My tiles seem to fall into both catagories....

Question then, is whether to seal or not. If a glazed tile is polished during manufacture to produce the mirror finish, does this open micro pores just as it does on normal unglazed polished porcelain?

The product info from Wickes advises to seal the tile but are they just covering their back? I dont want to seal for the sake of it if this will not adhere properly to the surface and spoil the high sheen appearance of the tile.

Thanks in advance for any response from those in the know.

Matt

Reaction score
Although porcelain is virtually non porous, polished porcelain can still stain. When marking a glazed tile for cutting the marker pen wipes clean off but with some polished porcelain a faint mark still remains almost in the tile, impossible to remove. So for peace of mind I would seal the porcelain. đź‘Ť

OP
M
Reaction score
Although porcelain is virtually non porous, polished porcelain can still stain. When marking a glazed tile for cutting the marker pen wipes clean off but with some polished porcelain a faint mark still remains almost in the tile, impossible to remove. So for peace of mind I would seal the porcelain. đź‘Ť
Sorry for the slow response J K tile.
I tried a tester on a spare tile - left deposits of ketchup, vinegar, red wine, oil and sharpie permanent marker, for two days and all wiped off very easily with a dry paper towel.
I'm satisfied the glazed finish is impermeable, and suspect the manufacturer prints the same advice on the boxes of all their tiles just to err on the side of caution.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and advise.

Reaction score
That sounds good if nothing has stained after that test. Some porcelain can come pre sealed but would usually advertise the fact on the box. I used to think porcelain sealers were like snake oil, after all how can something stain if non porous? But have only seen it a few times and with a permanent marker đź‘Ť

OP
M
Reaction score
That sounds good if nothing has stained after that test. Some porcelain can come pre sealed but would usually advertise the fact on the box. I used to think porcelain sealers were like snake oil, after all how can something stain if non porous? But have only seen it a few times and with a permanent marker đź‘Ť
My initial confusion was due to the tile being mistermed glazed polished porcelain. I think it is better described as just glazed porcelain, as it the glazed (impervious) top layer is clearly visible on the cross section, and it is definately not a "through" tile of one uninterupted material with a polished surface to finish, which would of course need sealing.
Its all fitted now and looking tidy, so I only sealed the grout as I dont think a sealer would have bonded to the glazed surface.
Thanks again for your contribution JK

Reaction score
My initial confusion was due to the tile being mistermed glazed polished porcelain. I think it is better described as just glazed porcelain, as it the glazed (impervious) top layer is clearly visible on the cross section, and it is definately not a "through" tile of one uninterupted material with a polished surface to finish, which would of course need sealing.
Its all fitted now and looking tidy, so I only sealed the grout as I dont think a sealer would have bonded to the glazed surface.
Thanks again for your contribution JK
How they looking mate I fitted the same tiles and are poor quality with scratches all over can see them in downlights

S

Suzie T

Sorry for the slow response J K tile.
I tried a tester on a spare tile - left deposits of ketchup, vinegar, red wine, oil and sharpie permanent marker, for two days and all wiped off very easily with a dry paper towel.
I'm satisfied the glazed finish is impermeable, and suspect the manufacturer prints the same advice on the boxes of all their tiles just to err on the side of caution.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and advise.

Reply to Glazed polished porcelain need sealing? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock