Search the forum,

Discuss Glass tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brendan

Hi all, not sure if am posting this in the right place. Well ive got kitchen walls to tile next week and they have got glass tiles, well when i was working with a guy doing my apprentice, i remember 1 job we done with sorta same glass tiles and they ok to cut with the sigma but when it came to cutting them around sockets and other cuts that needed to be cut with the water wheel, they seemed to chip abit, and at the back of the tile there was like umm how to put it (like a shine) something like tinfoly, well u could see through the tiles and see that there was bits chipped outa them. Am thinking it mightin happen with these glass tiles, but though it would be a good idea to see what yous all though and see if there is anything i should use to stop this from happening if it does. These glass tiles will be my first time tiling with them, so better for me to check things out u know :)

Thanks again
Brendan

D

david campbell

pick up a glass cutting blade for your wet saw,and i always cut the backing paper or foil off with a knife in the area you plan to cut out!:yes:

D

Deleted member 1779

Yes we were sent glass tiles that a very well known tile chain were having difficulty drilling.

And they had struggled to cut it.

glass_tile.jpg

In the middle is the drill hole. On the edge is the wet wheel results from cutting. The sharp ends were the result of scribing it.

I agree with David that a glass cutting wheel is your solution. In the above case they did try that but a number of glass wheels failed to cope with it. I think they resolved it with one particular brand.

B

Brendan

Yes we were sent glass tiles that a very well known tile chain were having difficulty drilling.

And they had struggled to cut it.

glass_tile.jpg

In the middle is the drill hole. On the edge is the wet wheel results from cutting. The sharp ends were the result of scribing it.

I agree with David that a glass cutting wheel is your solution. In the above case they did try that but a number of glass wheels failed to cope with it. I think they resolved it with one particular brand.

thats sorta the thing i saw years ago when my boss done it m8, it was the only glass tiling job ive seen done, and in the end they had to get the company they got the tiles of, to laser cut them as they wasnt happy with the cuts that were done and this guys house was so dear and the money he spend on tiles was mad, as whole hallways and kichen was done in marble, which they wasnt a problem to cut but when it came to these, it looked sorta bad, but the guy didnt mind paying the extra for the company to laser cut them, so in the end he was happy, but seeing this is a consins kitchen i sorta gotta do it as ive tiled most his house and hes more than happy, and i just worrie with this part as i know it might end up like this. I know for sure he aint goinga pay to laser cut them as hes got everything tiled for next to notting, i just dont wanta fork out £80 or something for a blade that in the end doesnt work, and i hate starting a job and not finishing it, as my old boss done this a few times and didnt really care, that sorta thing bugs the sh.t outa me ;/, (learned alot of good things of him and also learned alot of things not to do as he did, just me as pickey and fussy, maybe a good thing or bad :p) so i just worried that if i start and this happens, wot will i do ;/, hopefully he dont buy them sorta tiles and buys the cheaper glass ones which souldnt be to bad to cut, but better to be safe than sorry :p, thats why the advise yous are giving me is reall appreciated and am really greatfull, dam i only joined this site lastnight i think, and ive learned so much, really alot of good guys on here :)

Thanks again
Brendan

P

P'boro tiler

would my battery powered handheld makita cutter be suitable for glass? im doing some glass tiles next week

B

Brendan

would my battery powered handheld makita cutter be suitable for glass? im doing some glass tiles next week

Not sure m8, i wouldnt think so, as even when wet wheeling these sorta tiles (now depends on the glass tile) they seem to chip, but only ever done it once with old boss, so might be wrong, might be better blades out now that do a great job, but its something to think about, as you dont wanta balls up someones tiles ;/, thats why i asking for some advise on these myself, best way is to test cut, and i know when i start this job, first thing am doing is test cutting on a tile and see wot happens, better to mess up 1 tile than a whole load :p

H

hillhead

I done loads of them last year,my sigma worked fine on straight cuts.A light score and push for a really clean break,then slight cuts off edge etc score,cut back in line with score then use nippers to break off.Same method for socket cuts,score with cutter lightly both marks say,cut back and nip away.works a treat,don't be rough with the glass.Good luck.

L

Leatherface

Remember to use white adhesive. I also thinly butter the back of each tile and trowel the wall prior to bedding. You have to be careful, otherwise it can be possible to see dark patches in the tiles.
Glass cutting blade in wet cutter should cope ok.
There is a place in Huddersfield, that does a good range of diamond blades at really reasonable prices:
Tile Slysa Premium Diamond Blades For Porcelain
Applications: For porcelain as well as ceramic tiles, marble and granite slabs, glass. For use on tile cutting machines and angle grinders.
Specification:
Ultra thin section for concentrated slicing of the hardest tiles.
Fine, smooth cutting performance.
Laser cut slits in rim allow for dry cutting with angle grinders (excl 355mm).
Sizes for most wet cutting tile blades and angle grinders.
Discounted prices for popular sizes.

Attachments

• Glass blade.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 16
B

Brendan

Remember to use white adhesive. I also thinly butter the back of each tile and trowel the wall prior to bedding. You have to be careful, otherwise it can be possible to see dark patches in the tiles.
Glass cutting blade in wet cutter should cope ok.
There is a place in Huddersfield, that does a good range of diamond blades at really reasonable prices:
Tile Slysa Premium Diamond Blades For Porcelain
Applications: For porcelain as well as ceramic tiles, marble and granite slabs, glass. For use on tile cutting machines and angle grinders.
Specification:
Ultra thin section for concentrated slicing of the hardest tiles.
Fine, smooth cutting performance.
Laser cut slits in rim allow for dry cutting with angle grinders (excl 355mm).
Sizes for most wet cutting tile blades and angle grinders.
Discounted prices for popular sizes.

Thanks a lot m8 for the heads up, i know to do it in white but he would buy anything cheap lol so will say to him tomorrow to make sure its white adhesive, as he getting the stuff and must tell him to get white adhesive as god knows wot stuff he would buy, thanks for that m8, also will look into that blade u say as it sounds like it would prob do the trick and wouldnt cost me to much. ill let yas know how it goes with the job anyways next week :)

Thanks
Brendan

Reply to Glass tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen