Discuss Gifafloor - Preparation & Adhesive Advice in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

be11aml

TF
Reaction score
Hope someone can point me in the right direction for a DIY project.

Refurb of en suite - stripped out all walls and flooring and slowly putting it back together.

Installed UFH using spreader plates over 100mm insulation boards and used Knauf Gifafloor over the joists & plates. Glued joints and screwed to joists, nice and solid with no movement. Already had wet system in other rooms and spare channel on manifold, will hopefully take the chill off the tiles. Radiator on wall for space heating.

All walls put back up (hardie board) and shower tray installed on riser kit (problematic joist positions!).

Ready to tile the floor, but unable to work out what preparation (primer etc) and adhesive is best for the gypsum based Gifafloor. Area is less than 2 square meters, but not wanting to make a mess.

Floor tiles are 600x300 glazed porcelain, also have same size tiles for the walls, but different style.

Was leaning towards Keraflex Easy with Primer G

Any advice appreciated

O

Old Mod

GIFA floor have their own primer which you should have been made aware of at the time of purchase.
As you quite rightly pointed out, it’s a gypsum based floor, Portland cement and gypsum are not a match made in heaven, therefore priming with the right product is essential.
Ensure that the priming process is 100% correct,
get in touch with their tech help line for full instructions, it’s a great product, and a great choice.

be11aml

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Just looked into the Knauf primer, I was not made aware of this when I purchased the boards.

Looks to be exactly what I need, but difficult to obtain. Import from Germany seems to be an option.

I have read comments, on this site, that I should be using the primer suited to the adhesive.

Are there any views on using Mapei Primer L or T or similar?

Last edited:
S

Spare Tool

See now your stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding warranties, think I'd be contacting both Knauf and Mapei technical if that's your chosen adhesive and get advice both spoken and in an email..

be11aml

TF
Reaction score
I can now see why this type of product is not widely used. Seems great, but compatibility with other systems is poor.

Knauf have suggested that I need to tank the floor and that I should follow the system specified by the tanking manufacturer.

This is not a wet room and I did not plan to tank the floor, but I was going to tank the shower area with the Aquaseal kit. I will probably have enough left over to do the floor and it might be the most simple answer.

O

Old Mod

Alternatively speak with Tilemaster, they have a gypsum based adhesive, and priming won’t be such a big deal, but still necessary.
Speak with their tech dept.

@Glynn
They have company rep on here, he may see this tonight, he may not.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Morning 3fall. Though the Giffa boards are gypsum it is not the same has an anhydrite screed gypsum. The Giffa board is basically "spent gypsum" and as become inert so they do not present the same problems has the anhydrite screed. Tilemaster recommend: Primeplus primer at 3-1 and Magix or Setaflex adhesive.

be11aml

TF
Reaction score
@Glynn that is massively helpful.

Really appreciate the advice and have read lots of good things about Tilemaster products, I’ll be following your advice

Have a great weekend

Reply to Gifafloor - Preparation & Adhesive Advice in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks