Search the forum,

Discuss Getting my mate to do tiling..pity he cant seem to offer me any advice! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mlangley1

Hi,

I'm a plumber by trade and doing up a bathroom..my bathroom.

Now I am being forced by stupid loyalty to get my mate since school to do the tiling and could never get away with getting someone else in.

Thing is..my mate is a bit dim.

Now I am installing a walk in shower, bath double basin and wall hung toilet into this bathroom.

Is it possible if I list out what I plan to do and you experienced tilers tell me if im warm, hot or bloody freezing.

Ok..so Ive taken up floorboards and layed down 18mm WBP softwood ply

I'm going to use a pre made former under the shower 900x900 and use a tanking kit.

I am going to cover the entire tiled area with Wickes fleecing membrane - floor and walls and cement board where the shower meets the tiled stud wall.

What should I use to prime the ply? - my mate uses PVA usually

Im putting in 4sqm of heating mat..what comes first the membrane or heating mat?

Is any old waterproof grout ok or should i be looking out for something else?

I also plan to shove some silicone in all the gaps around the ply before laying the membrane.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if any of you need advice on your boiler then just ask.

Mark
15 years boiler engineer

S

Stef

I take it your "MATE" thinks hes a tiler, he uses PVA, enough said.:thumbsdown:

Grout is not waterproof its water resistant, it will not break down when in contact with water.

Have a read through other threads & you will pick up everything you need to know, you have came to the right place as this forum is a god send for anyone that wants to know any aspect of tiling.

Welcome along, show your mate this site also!!:smilewinkgrin:

R

Rich

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your dim mate hasn't got a clue mate, this is going to end in huge amounts of tears and end up costing you a lot of pennies if you are not very very careful.

Do not use PVA as a primer on anything... ever. Here is a link to a post regarding pva as a primer
P.V.A. Versus Primers

I would over board the Ply with a 6mm backer board and then tank this also.

What tiles are you planning to use?

here is a link to post on tiling directly on to ply

Plywood floors...

All this would be done after I phoned a tiler to come and do the work :smilewinkgrin:

G

Gazebo

Hi Mark.

You are on the right track for the prep work. be sure to put in extra noggins under the ply on perimeter joints etc.

Then over board with 6mm hardibacker or similar.

Tank it 1st then lay your ufh mat.

Be sure to use a ploymer modified adhesive (spf) or rapid set.

Go for a grout with a build in additive. Mapei ultracolour or Bal Microflex, ardex and many others.

Good Luck

Gary

[email protected]

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Gary us tilers have got a good sense of humour, we bloody need it :lol:

D

davemul

Hi mark , check out my bathroom thread link in my sig.... I've done similar to your plans so may help.

Reply to Getting my mate to do tiling..pity he cant seem to offer me any advice! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen