Discuss Floor system for UFH in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

firekill

hi guys , I'm currently doing a kitchen & utility complete renovation and laying a new floor ready for ufh , I've laid the mot , sand binding , DPM & 100mm of concrete for sub base . Got 90mm foil backed pir board for insulation layer and having a 65/75 sand & cement screed with fibres , now I was going to just lay the boards down straight ontop of the concrete but read somewhere about fixing them down with flexible tile adhesive or just laying them on top of another layer of dpm over the concrete , also as it's gonna be a dry screed do I need any membrane over the insulation/ufh before screening or not. Not done wet ufh before and want to get it right first time.

D

Dumbo

You need a membrane between your insulation and screed (slip coat ). Can't remember what guage but it's about half the thickness of what your dpm should off been . Then install ufh pipes and screed over the top . What size is the area that you are screeding and tiling .

F

firekill

Thanks , it's about 15 sq m with about 10 m of that having ufh because of units etc , thinking of using the speedfit single room pack

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On top of concrete minimum 1200 gauge polythene then your insulation then minimum 500 gauge slip membrane then your screed. Obviously I recommend 50mm of flowing GYPSOL screed but if it as to be sand cement it should be minimum 65mm so the minimum being the bit over the top of the pipe it should technically be pipe depth plus 65mm so 80mm or so.

F

firekill

What is the purpose of the 1200 gauge polythene on top of the concrete? , I did put a 1200 g Dpm under the concrete slab .also my screed depth will be 70-75 mm as I have already got the insulation. Could I put some wire mesh and fibres in there too add strength maybe .

D

Dumbo

I stand to be corrected but if you have done that and lapped it up the walls you should be ok . As regards thickness I'm no expert on cement @Ajax123 is

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Concrete gives up it' moisture slowly. If you put unheated screed on top the action of heating and thus reducing the vapour pressure in the screed can draw moisure up from the concrete causing issues with moisture in the screed. This is NOT a dpm for the floor. T does not need to lap up the walls. The 500g slip membrane divorces the screed from the insulation to allow it to move independently under thermal cycling. It also prevents the insulation from reacting with the hydroxyl ions in the screed which can cause isses in both cement based and anhydrite

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the 1200 gauge polythene on top of the concrete? , I did put a 1200 g Dpm under the concrete slab .also my screed depth will be 70-75 mm as I have already got the insulation. Could I put some wire mesh and fibres in there too add strength maybe .
Wire mesh is a waste of time. If it is sand cement it must have fibres in. If you go liquid it needs neither.

Reply to Floor system for UFH in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks