Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss floating floor for limestone in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

i have just seen a job today where there is an existing floating subfloor consisting of 50mm insulation sitting on concrete and then a 18-22mm chipboard overlay.
this was fine when carpet installed on top.
new owner wants limestone.
there is room for 30mm build up on top of existing chipboard and stone is 12mm thick.
any suggestions of how to best give a good solid build up from concrete up, on which to lay limestone.
my initial thoughts are need to keep some insulation but create a non floating subfloor .

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
flaoting floor for limestone

Can you not fasten down boards with screws and hardie or similar over the top?
Or its take up ,put 40mm insulation and 50/60mm screed

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: flaoting floor for limestone

Just turned away a job with T&G chipboard & 50mm insulation........floor was bouncing all over the place.

75m job it was as well..........although the floater area was about 20-22m. Couldn't overboard, as they wanted the same level all thorough.......even though I said "no thanks"........they have someone else to do it........love to be that "fly on the wall"

Unless the floor can be taken up and a concrete screed go down......walk away.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Fermacell 25mm board on top as a floating floor would decouple. http://www.fermacell.co.uk/en/docs/Flooring_brochure_s_1109.pdf
weight would hold the existing floor still Or take up the chipboard md replace with fermacell boarding. Or visqueen over the existing insulation and 50mm screed over. All options would need edge insulation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
S

Spud

I had a similar enquiry today Jonny , I don't tile directly over floating floors so The floor is going to have to be removed and screeded it is under 20 m2 so,shouldn't be too much work involved

O

On one

Fermacell 25mm board on top as a floating floor would decouple. Broken Link Removed the weight would hold the existing floor still Or take up the chipboard md replace with fermacell boarding. Or visqueen over the existing insulation and 50mm screed over. All options would need edge insulation.
Hi Chalker, your link isn't working for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jonnyc

What about getting builder to take up existing insulation and chipboard.
i could then fix 50mm marmox or similar with flex adhesive to primed concrete base .
of course cocrete would need to be level to just stick down marmox with a notch.
what do you think

C

Concrete guy

What about getting builder to take up existing insulation and chipboard.
i could then fix 50mm marmox or similar with flex adhesive to primed concrete base .
of course cocrete would need to be level to just stick down marmox with a notch.
what do you think

I'd be concerned with localised compresive strength with Marmox Jonny. Limestone is so unforgiving.

You've got enough height to get 25mm to 30mm of insulation in then a fibre reinforced screed on top of that.

J

julian2000

I'd be concerned with localised compresive strength with Marmox Jonny. Limestone is so unforgiving.

You've got enough height to get 25mm to 30mm of insulation in then a fibre reinforced screed on top of that.

... and Marmox DOES deflect... the oft quoted load bearing capability is distributed and with 10% deflection ... those two words do not sit well with stone (or my mind, very easy to get local high loads). Spike roller every time to get the air out of the SLC as it does make a difference to strength.

R

Rossymcg

Ive took up all floating floor in the past then fixed 2x2 timbers in to the block and beam/concrete floor, with the self tapping concrete fixings then fit insulation back inbetween timbers, all of the above I fit on top of a damp proof membrane, 18mm wbp ply with a cement board on top of that,

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Remove chipboard.
Lay two skins of 18mm ply, cross fixed.
Concrete fixers right through to concrete base.
SLC and de-couple.

Reply to floating floor for limestone in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks