Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing 12.5 plasterboard to 25mm timber battens. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

easyt

I am building out one wall of the bathroom using 38 x 25mm battens and fixing plasterboard (aquapanel in shower area). I intend to fix the battens at 300mm centres with Spax single thread wood screws 4.5 x 70mm and rawlplugs. Substrate is 12mm render over brick. Any thoughts?

The fixing of the plaster board to the battens I am not totally sure of. 25mm seems a bit thin to drive galv nails into. I have seen some 25mm plasterboard screws in screfix catalogue. I f I used these I presume they would drive about 13mm into battens. Are these adequate? I am hanging 250 x 300 approx ceramic tiles.

Any advice welcomed.

With the aquapanel I haven't really though as to whether the battens will serve as fixings or whether I need to drill through them and fix the aquapanel so that the battens are merely acting as spacers.

Off now to run round after youngest for a few hours. :mad2:

G

grumpygrouter

I will be building stud walls soon and I will be using at least 50mm for the batten width. This will give you more room for your screws, especially with the aquapanel which can crumble at the edges if you screw too close to it. you can screw straight into your battens for the aquapanel too. No need to drill through to the wall. :thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

you can get 32mm drywall screws from most builders merchants/trade hardware suppliers:thumbsup:

S

Scott

Any reason you cant fix the boards straight to the wall without battens?

I'd use concrete screws for fixing the battens, pilot drill and screw them in, no plugs no messing

E

easyt

Any reason you cant fix the boards straight to the wall without battens?

I'd use concrete screws for fixing the battens, pilot drill and screw them in, no plugs no messing

I need to ring in the end wall to suit the shower tray. The 25mm build out means only having to chase wall 15 mm for pipes, clips and elbows etc.

Reply to Fixing 12.5 plasterboard to 25mm timber battens. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen