Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Final question before i attempt the bathroom! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AJL Plumbing

Hi All,
After using excellant advise on this forum am now in the last throws of prep before i start tiling, i made the mistake of going to topps for advise but thats another story!:mad2:

Could you guys please confirm the below i have bought all of the below from tile giant (very helpfull) after a conversation to Mapei today and just want to make sure iv got it right!

mixture of painted plasterboard walls and ply (i know wrong!)

score walls 50mm apart diagonally,
prime plaster walls with PRIMER G
Keroflex maxi adh for wall tile ceramic 200 x 400
ultra colour alupak for grout
tanking kit for shower enclosure area (half wood half plaster)

Bathroom floor tile 300x 600 porclean
6mm backer board for bathroom floor
keraquick floor adh
latex plus
ultra colour grey alupak

Kitchen tile floor 600 x 300 porclean on cement floor
keraquick floor adh
ultra colour grey alupak

Questions!
1 is the above ok
2 do i use the primer g on the ply aswell
3 do i use the latex plus instead of water or aswell as

sorry for the long post but want to get it right and make a descent job as its in my own house!!!

Thanks

Andrew

M

Mike

the materials sound fine but i've yet to see a tanking kit that is recommended for wood. can you not board over the wood/ply (with hardi/marmox or even plasterboard?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Try to remove the paint from the plastered walls rather than scoring, a good rub with coarse sand paper should suffice! As for the primer, double check the instructions on the bag, some adhesives say to prime the face of the board others don't. The latex additive should be used on its own, no water, but again check the instructions. Good luck with your project.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as above and dont like scoring plaster board it will weaken it,you have gone to an expense buying the correct adhesives etc which is great why not rip the old plaster board off and replace...its nice and cheap plasterboard is:smilewinkgrin:

A

AJL Plumbing

Hi Mike

Mapei didnt say it would be a problem, the walls in and ceilings plastered so woulnt be able to overboard it, the shower trays also now in and not moving anywhere fast!

A

AJL Plumbing

cant remove plaster board as it is eggbox in the middle type glued with no batterns in the middle either so cant overboard! plus the other side of the eggbox wall has just been plastered, coved and painted so cant replace the wall!!!

M

Mike

i've used mapei tanking kit and not seen any instructions on tanking over wood but if the tech helpline say it's ok and you're happy with that then go for it. good luck with it all

A

AJL Plumbing

I would also recommend tanking any ply that is going to be tiled onto with a tanking kit like Mapei's Mapegum

Above taken from Richs thread plywood floors 3 weeks ago!

Now im confused!!!!!!!!! tank the wood or dont tank the wood, or burn the house down!!!!!

W

White Room

I would rather use the fleece type covering both the different surfaces, not alot you can do with the paramount board.

Reply to Final question before i attempt the bathroom! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks