Search the forum,

Discuss Easy Job, Gone Wrong? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Same as others have said. I looked through a dynamic tiling media album not so long ago and saw a few bits on there also. Up your game!

T

Time's Ran Out

No need to make those comments!
Everyone has their own opinions but if you can't be constructive keep the forum friendly.

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
right guys, thanks for the constructive comments.

I have used SLC for a few UFH jobs and it is truly up there with some of the worst products i have ever came across. After 48 hours, walking over it. it sounds like your are walking over broken biscuits. You can poke your finger through it even after 48 hours drying (in a heated room). It crumbles like wet paper. Try doing that to a sand and cement screed after 48 hours. You wont have any fingers left. Floor screeding and wall rendering was once part of a tiling apprenticeship. Get a job like that and you can charge what you like! more often than not i have made more off of screeding than i have made off of tiling! Personally i couldn't trust the SLC as far as i could throw it. Basically water down screed, you expect that to have the same strength as a traditional screed? What is Surprising is the amount of people that have faith in watered down cement? surely i cant be the only not to?

Anyhow after a difficult conversation today, i have agreed to reimburse the customer the cost of the ufh, controller and the sparks wages, in order to cut the cable and do away with the UFH. As appose to strip the whole floor and start again. Controller wasn't wired up, i have a spare probe. So i can return that.

I think that it is ironic that the thread description of simple job wrong has came to prove, that this is a simple job gone wrong.

15 year tiling, i have never seen a bathroom sheeted in 18mm ply on the walls. in 15 year i have never had to drain a 5000 litre heating system ( to move a heating pipe 50mm!)

The lesson to take home here kids, is....

"Always expect, the unexpected"

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Same as others have said. I looked through a dynamic tiling media album not so long ago and saw a few bits on there also. Up your game!

I don't know what it is about you, maybe that i am talking to as cat? Personally feel i have meet many a fool like you before... deja vu?????

but please feel free to give me your honest opinion of me?

The suspense is killing me>???

Don't worry i wont post another picture of my weekly pay packet. But one thing i will say is i don't think i could last a week on your monthly wage from what i have seen...

ouch shots fired!!!!

L

LM

right guys, thanks for the constructive comments.

I have used SLC for a few UFH jobs and it is truly up there with some of the worst products i have ever came across. After 48 hours, walking over it. it sounds like your are walking over broken biscuits. You can poke your finger through it even after 48 hours drying (in a heated room). It crumbles like wet paper. Try doing that to a sand and cement screed after 48 hours. You wont have any fingers left. Floor screeding and wall rendering was once part of a tiling apprenticeship. Get a job like that and you can charge what you like! more often than not i have made more off of screeding than i have made off of tiling! Personally i couldn't trust the SLC as far as i could throw it. Basically water down screed, you expect that to have the same strength as a traditional screed? What is Surprising is the amount of people that have faith in watered down cement? surely i cant be the only not to?

Anyhow after a difficult conversation today, i have agreed to reimburse the customer the cost of the ufh, controller and the sparks wages, in order to cut the cable and do away with the UFH. As appose to strip the whole floor and start again. Controller wasn't wired up, i have a spare probe. So i can return that.

I think that it is ironic that the thread description of simple job wrong has came to prove, that this is a simple job gone wrong.

15 year tiling, i have never seen a bathroom sheeted in 18mm ply on the walls. in 15 year i have never had to drain a 5000 litre heating system ( to move a heating pipe 50mm!)

The lesson to take home here kids, is....

"Always expect, the unexpected"
Dynamic tiling, I mean this with the best intentions possible as constructive advice, it may be a question I suppose also?
What type of and what manufacturer of slc have you used in the past?
Did you prime the substrate before hand therefore reducing dehydration and improving adhesion of the slc?
Any good quality fibre reinforced slc on a primed floor on top of eufh will not fail. If an eufh mat is not incased in slc it is at increased risk of failure due to the speradic air pockets causing isolated parts of the eufh matt to over heat in those areas and cause 'burn' out.
Most credible makes of fibre reinforced slc have at least 30Nm bstrength minimum, which is a lot more than nearly all sand and cement or anhydrite screeds.
Since I started tiling roughly 20 odd years ago 80% of my work is commercial with architects and designers involved in every thing I do and always it's stated due to the fire risk that timber substrates are not permitted with eufh.
I know you didn't start this thread for this and you've end up getting your b**s busted. I think sometimes people can be harsh, but consider also though that it's mostly advise.
Most of the wise ones on this forum know that EVERY day is a school day.
I can't quantify what I've learnt on this forum, but from a professional and educational point of view joining it has been one of the best things I've done.

O

Old Mod

MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you can't take a little critasism there is something wrong.

I am all from critasism but I just feel u have got a personal agenda against me? Which personally I feel has been evident on numerous posts u have made against me. I will be the first person to hold my hand up and admit I have made a mistake. Nobody is perfect. We all have our good days and bad days

I am all for admitting if I am wrong, people make mistakes. No tradesman is truly perfect. If I have a problem, I offer the customer a solution. End up.

But I am intrigued to know 'my mistakes' that you have noticed...

Reply to Easy Job, Gone Wrong? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen