Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM Ceramics

ill add my input and agree with everyone else you should not dot and dab tiles it isnt the correct way to do this

with the tiler using the dot and dab method im suprised he isnt using ceramic wall tile adhesive for travertine lol

S

spanky

I have been totally honest with the main contractor throughout this, and I have shown him this thread, well, up until about 6.00pm.

I would like to think he has gone home and been keeping a sly eye on it, it's his reputation at stake at the end of the day.
(I would have been keeping an eye on it, I work for myself, I repair, sell & trade in LCD and Plasma TV's & Parts, if I sell one and it goes wrong then I fix it, PERIOD. I have a good name and I would like to keep it that way.)

I have just printed the whole thread off, I will show it to him in the morning.

I expect the tiles to be removed and re-affixed correctly, I have no intention of taking any risks with it, I reckon it should cost £1800 at most to have 40 odd sqm of these fitted, that £40 per sqm, he's being paid £7000 or so for this job, so there's plenty of money to cover the cost of having it done correctly.

I will of course keep you all informed, and add the thanks necessary.

Tony (Spanky)

p.s.

Rogue traders does not seem too far off the mark.

B

brian c

if you have any trouble with him then tell him his services are no longer required and then get one of the lads on here from your area to fix the tiles for you .At least it wpuld be done correctly.

C

charlie1

Right spanky, I need not add anymore to this thread as it sounds like you have made your mind up to confront the tiler. DO NOT ALLOW THIS GUY TO CONTINUE IN THE MORNING. ENOUGH DAMMAGE HAS BEEN CAUSED!!!

Please keep us up to date with this one.

S

steve mason

Why is it so bad to dot and dab? I was told that it gave you more play to get the wall square if it was out. Is it best practise to put adi on the wall first then trowel and then tile? Do you pack tiles out from there if the wall isnt true?

C

charlie1

You should make your wall straight before you tile by skimming with rapid set or DD plaster board. The correct method of tiling is to get as close to 100% coverage as pos. Do not DD tiles as practice. There are more tilers out ther than you think practicing this method of tiling though experienced ones at that. I dare say you could mabe get away with it with smaller format ceramics but when it comes down to it why take the chance. Perssonaly I use my flat edge of the trowel to plaster the wall with addy then go over it with the serated edge then tile.

TO CLARIFY - TRAVERTINE IS A DEFINATE, DEFINATE NO NO FOR DOT DABBING.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpy

There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive.From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and thats good enough.Alot of whats been said on this post is inexperience.For those people who have been tiling long enough will remember bal used to sell tools a few years ago and one trowel they had in the range was a 50% coverage.Also the trowel method of fixing is big here in the uk and some other countries but many mediterainian countries dab tiles. do yourself a favour and speak to an architect for the correct imformation.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive.From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and thats good enough.Alot of whats been said on this post is inexperience.For those people who have been tiling long enough will remember bal used to sell tools a few years ago and one trowel they had in the range was a 50% coverage.Also the trowel method of fixing is big here in the uk and some other countries but many mediterainian countries dab tiles. do yourself a favour and speak to an architect for the correct imformation.

?????????????????????????????

I may be inexperienced but I dont think you'll find the likes of Dave and Fekin are..........better apologise to them now.

F

Fekin

There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive.

Fixing heavy tiles with dabs here n there is skimping on materials and more importantly safety.

From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and thats good enough.

If the tiles had been fixed propperly, the whole back of the tile would have still been covered with ribbed adhesive when pulled from the wall and adhesive should still also be on the wall showing the adhesive had a propper mechanical grip to both tile and wall, and the only way the tile comes away is to rip the adhesive in two.
The tiles spanky took off came away with no effort, and near enough zero adhesive had a mechanical grip to the wall as the splodges were only on the tile.

Alot of whats been said on this post is inexperience.

I have read the entire thread and everyone is in agreement that the tiles should not be dabbed on and with the reasons why it shouldn't be done, and the views posted are not inexperianced either, far from it Grumpy, the experiance of the members of this forum is colossal and we don't recommend sloppy workmanship.

For those people who have been tiling long enough will remember bal used to sell tools a few years ago and one trowel they had in the range was a 50% coverage.

Do they still sell them though ? and as time goes by, the market changes and tile formats keep on getting bigger and heavier meaning you need better mechanical grip to fix them.

Also the trowel method of fixing is big here in the uk and some other countries but many mediterainian countries dab tiles. do yourself a favour and speak to an architect for the correct imformation.

How about speaking to the adhesive manufacturers, after all, they make the products and see if they recommend you use their product in this manner and I'd bet anything they would say the same as we have all said here, apart from you Grumpy :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

spanky

I thought the same, but I do not think the Tiler has any knowledge of this site, and he registered in Novenber....

S

spanky

We have just phoned the manufacturer, we are waiting for a call back from their Technical department.

The tiler is not here yet. Due any minute though.

F

Fekin

?????????????????????????????

I may be inexperienced but I dont think you'll find the likes of Dave and Fekin are..........better apologise to them now.

No need to apologise :lol:, and Daves experiance far far out weighs mine as I have not been fixing for anywhere as long as Dave, but I do make sure I use the correct methods and not sloppy tactics.

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks