Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need to seal unglazed PEI 5 porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I think I have decided on my tile for an outdoor but mostly dry space protected on 3 sides but can have rain blown in - see picture. The tiles are PEI rating of 5 this full bodied porcelain and come unglazed. I then start reading about stains and sealing and start to doubt my choice (haven't got them yet ) the fella in the store says I do not need to seal, they are these . I have brought a couple to test and have a range of stuff on them to see if they do stain.
The yellow line marks the extent of the roof coverage

P10874.jpg P1000878.jpg P1000884.jpg

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok I have come back to answer my own question but would still appreciate an experts view.
I have done some tests with grass,coffee,oil(olive) sharpie pen, biro, vinegar, and left it on for 18 hours. And none it has left any mark whatsoever. I am also ding a water absorption test and so far after 18 hours there has been no gain in the 108g starting sample weight

View attachment 98669

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Just seen that my picture was not there with my test tile, here it is. I put a few drops of water on it and then added instant coffe very strong.

P1000888.jpg P1000889.jpg

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good test, haven't heard of any external grade porc that requires impregnating. Maintain only

Check your grout release on install, on a spare tile maybe, with the extra texture. a lot of the external boys are using bal temp sealer if they have problems to aid release.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok thats the end of the water absorption test because after 24 hours I want my pint glass back.
Result - no weight gain.
2nd result - beer for me

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok I have now done a grout test and that is fine, infact nothing seems to stick to this tile, I do actually need something to stick to it - namely adhesive. So I have done a grout test on the back and that is a lot more difficult to get off. Picture attached. The tiles are marked on the back Made in Turkey - is that good ?

P1000891.jpg

Reply to Do I need to seal unglazed PEI 5 porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen