Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need a waterproof adhesive for wall tiles in a bathroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davidlll

Hi everyone,
A novice question! Do I need a waterproof adhesive for tiling the walls in a bathroom?
And another thing - I am looking at wickes.co.uk and they don't seem to have unmixed/powdered adhesives. Only the ready mixed tubs.
I'll be using ceramic wall tiles, 248mmx331mmx7.8mm.
Hope someone could advise. Thanks.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
have you got any tile shops near you? they will have loads of powdered adhesives to chose from.

might be worth thing about tanking the walls if theres a shower in there..

S

StevieBoy

Hi - what is the state of the walls as in are they new / old plaster, painted, previously tiled etc ?
If you are using Ceramic tiles, on plaster new or old, or previously tiled surfaces as long as you prime the walls first you will be ok with tubbed adhesive but I would recommend using a waterproof one in any shower areas to be tiled.

D

davidlll

Thanks. The existing walls are tiled. Goining to remove ex tiles because they are dated and some are falling off.

S

seVans36

Well I would take all the tiles off get it all ready for tiling let the plaster breath/dry then get hold of a tanking product this will water proof the area to be tiled. Powder or tub adhesive will be fine but you want a white one for walls.
Find your local tiling shop and ask them for what you need and they should help you regarding application of products.

Reply to Do I need a waterproof adhesive for wall tiles in a bathroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen