Discuss Diluting primer before tiling in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

SP87

TF
Reaction score
Am getting conflicting answers online and manufacturer support lines, have a bathroom which has Hardiebacker, moisture plasterboard and multi finish on different walls and is being fully tiled.

Can anyone advise correct dilution ratios for priming these walls with Mapei Primer G? Will be using Mapei S1 powdered adhesive.

Mapei support said no primer needed if using Mapei adhesive, but to apply 1:1 diluted ratio if I want to.

Hardiebacker support said their boards do need priming, although their website says they can be tiled onto without primer...

Am I correct in thinking the more dilution (ie. If I did 1 part primer to 2 parts water on all surfaces), the less likely a skin would be formed and less likely adhesive will fail in long term?

SP87

TF
Reaction score
Wipe any dust off with a damp sponge. No primer required on the boards. The multi finish will require priming .
OK will just prime the multi finish, not the hardiebacker and moisture resistant plasterboard.

Hardiebacker boards are in the shower wet area, is tanking them necessary before tiling?

Reply to Diluting primer before tiling in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks