Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dewalt Dw24000 Review in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rob Z

Dave,

That might be true, but I bet I have to pay more here for Newcastle Brown Ale! :8::mad2: :grin:

R

Rob Z

One of the forum members asked me to measure the cutting capacity of the DeWalt, so here are the numbers:

from the back of the rolling cart to the blade ~ 65 cm

from the inside of the blade to the side of the motor support on the left ~32 cm

(Notice that I broke out my metric folding rule for my British friends :grin: )

R

Rob Z

Also, Dave, I have cut stuff much larger than ~65 cm , which for me is about ~25 inches....we run the tile back over the back of the tray, raise the motor, and make several passes and lower the motor each time. Even thought the tile isn't supported fully on the tray, the gradual cut eliminates the stress that might otherwise break the tile.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Whitebeam,

We are working just south of Washington, DC right now. You're welcome to stop by and check the machine out all you'd like. :grin:

W

White Room

Thats a funny thing I;ve got a friend in New Mexico who keeps asking me to nip over, On the way thru could be interesting:grin::thumbsup:

S

Sully

Great review! I have one and can't fault it. Excellent piece of kit and my Rubi Bridge has been semi-retired since I got the Dewalt. It's worth every penny!

Andrew

B

bobbin

Was speaking to one of the tilers on site today and he had one of these cutters. Had a go and was very impressed :hurray:
One down side he mentioned was that when cutting 45 degree angles you have to lift the tile to the blade as it is a plunge cut blade, not like your normal wet cutter that cuts from underneath, therefore not showing the cut all the way through the tile.
But on the same note he said that it is only a matter of adjusting what you would normally do and after a short while it becomes second nature.
So I had to have a go again didn't I :yes: and yes it was a bit awkward at first but after about 10 separate cuts I got used to it and it was fine. This is the only downside I can see, and it is easily overcome with a bit of thought. On the whole this machine was awesome, had no problem munching through the 600x600 porcelain he was cutting, and the water recirculation is brilliant. I was very impressed. It is a bloody big cutter when on it's legs and takes up a lot of room, but looks worth every penny :hurray:
Now to save my penny's and get one :thumbsup:

S

sWe

Two questions:

How's the DeWalt power wise when it comes to really hard tiles? I'm talking tiles so hard you have to hit them two or three times with a hammer in order to shatter.

Is it possible/easy to recaliberate the scale? The blade I'd put in it if I bought one is thicker than the included blade.

R

Rob Z

sWe,

I think the DeWalt has plenty of power for everything we have thrown at it (except for one porcelain two years ago that I swear has stainless steel layered inside of it!). The DeWalt does not have the crushing torque of my old Target Tilematic (are these sold in Europe?), and won't plow through tile as fast. But, it has cut everything we have needed to cut and does all the tricky cuts that would be extremely difficult or impossible on a traditional tile saw. On really thick and hard tiles, we use the plunge feature to raise the blade and score a cut across the tile, going in two or three passes, rather than hogging through it all in one shot. But it's rare that we even have to do that.

We don't do production tile work, so I don't need the continuous duty motor that the Target has. If we tiled really large jobs with constant cutting, I think I would use the Target. On such a job as that we wouldn't the carpentry-like cutting features of the DeWalt.

I'm not sure about calibrating the scale. My habit is always to measure everything with a tape and I don't rely on a scale on the tool. I will check it out tomorrow for you and report back in the evening. :thumbsup:

S

sWe

sWe,

I think the DeWalt has plenty of power for everything we have thrown at it (except for one porcelain two years ago that I swear has stainless steel layered inside of it!). The DeWalt does not have the crushing torque of my old Target Tilematic (are these sold in Europe?), and won't plow through tile as fast. But, it has cut everything we have needed to cut and does all the tricky cuts that would be extremely difficult or impossible on a traditional tile saw. On really thick and hard tiles, we use the plunge feature to raise the blade and score a cut across the tile, going in two or three passes, rather than hogging through it all in one shot. But it's rare that we even have to do that.

I don't think Husqvarna markets Target saws over here. They do market the Husqvarna bridge saws, which are aimed at tilers, but the table saws they market here are more meant for cutting bricks and other blocks, rather than tiles. They're VERY heavy; the lightest one, which can do 60cm rip cuts (24") weighs in at about 80kg (180lbs) and it doesn't look portable at all, whereas the equivialent Target type saw weighs in at 50kg (105lbs), which is alot more manageable.

I work solo, which kind of limits my range of choice. I need something which is portable and which I can set up alone without breaking my back. I've been considering a bridge saw for some time now, but the tiles I work with are only very rarely larger than 60x60, or even 60x30 or 45x45, so I figure a table saw such as the D24000 might be a better choice. I figure it's easier to do intricate cuts with table saws than than bridge saws, which is nice, and I wouldn't get a bridge saw with more than about 60-70cm straight cut capacity anyways, as I don't need anything bigger at the moment.

We don't do production tile work, so I don't need the continuous duty motor that the Target has. If we tiled really large jobs with constant cutting, I think I would use the Target. On such a job as that we wouldn't the carpentry-like cutting features of the DeWalt.

I'm not sure about calibrating the scale. My habit is always to measure everything with a tape and I don't rely on a scale on the tool. I will check it out tomorrow for you and report back in the evening.

I normally do too, but it would bug me if I knew the scale wasn't completely accurate :grin:

Reply to Dewalt Dw24000 Review in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks