Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Decoupling membrane and epoxy grout in new build in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

I am posting in the hope that someone may be willing to offer me some advice about floor tiles in a new build property. The house has a screed floor with under-floor heating. I need to have about 100 sq metres tiled downstairs (hall, kitchen, utility, living room). The tile will be Porcelanosa Carrara Blanco Brillo. I asked the builder 2 questions and got the following answers:

1. Will you be using a decoupling membrane as it’s a new house with (water) under-floor heating?
Answer: No. We use flexible tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
2. What grout will you use as I want to ensure stain resistance etc.?
Answer: Grey or white standard grout.

I have asked the builder to quote for laying a decoupling membrane (about 100 sq metres) and was told additional £1940.
I asked for a quote to use Mapei epoxy grout and was told additional £2400.

Both these quotes seem excessive to me. Is a decoupling membrane standard practice in this situation? How much extra time/money involved to use epoxy grout instead of normal?

Any advice appreciated.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the slab is cured and the heating has been commisioned and run up to heat
then with porcerlain tiles no need for a crack matting, the price for that is about
right maybe a little high. as for the grout that does sound expensive
better off using a grout sealer

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi bsc ceramics

Thank you for your reply. Another factor is the living room faces due south; the west and south wall elevations are basically glass-may cause increased expansion/contraction.

Reaction score
Hi

I am posting in the hope that someone may be willing to offer me some advice about floor tiles in a new build property. The house has a screed floor with under-floor heating. I need to have about 100 sq metres tiled downstairs (hall, kitchen, utility, living room). The tile will be Porcelanosa Carrara Blanco Brillo. I asked the builder 2 questions and got the following answers:

1. Will you be using a decoupling membrane as it’s a new house with (water) under-floor heating?
Answer: No. We use flexible tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
2. What grout will you use as I want to ensure stain resistance etc.?
Answer: Grey or white standard grout.

I have asked the builder to quote for laying a decoupling membrane (about 100 sq metres) and was told additional £1940.
I asked for a quote to use Mapei epoxy grout and was told additional £2400.

Both these quotes seem excessive to me. Is a decoupling membrane standard practice in this situation? How much extra time/money involved to use epoxy grout instead of normal?

Any advice appreciated.
Hi,
I'd go for the decoupling matting all the time, natural stone or porcelains, most tilers use flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ these days anyway but that wont help for movement transmission from your screed plus most tilers will guarantee their work then. £1940 for materials and labour to lay the matting isn't too bad, our recommended tilers charge about £20.00 per sqm, maybe ask for a couple of hundred £ off discount seeing size of job. As for grout, specify "Tilemaster grout 3000" flexible and very good with porcelains, again this tilers quote seems excessive to say the least. on a 10mm rectified edge porcelain you only want a 2mm grout line so he won't be using hardly any at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd go for the decoupling matting all the time, natural stone or porcelains, most tilers use flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ these days anyway but that wont help for movement transmission from your screed plus most tilers will guarantee their work then. £1940 for materials and labour to lay the matting isn't too bad, our recommended tilers charge about £20.00 per sqm, maybe ask for a couple of hundred £ off discount seeing size of job. As for grout, specify "Tilemaster grout 3000" flexible and very good with porcelains, again this tilers quote seems excessive to say the least. on a 10mm rectified edge porcelain you only want a 2mm grout line so he won't be using hardly any at all.
Thanks Will, that’s useful info.

Reply to Decoupling membrane and epoxy grout in new build in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock