Search the forum,

Discuss Damp plaster in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Been to price up a job tonight, and along the bath theres 4 10x10 tiles that have fallen off months ago and water from the shower has worked it's way through from the bathroom wall to the next room.

So basically, it's soaked along these 4 tiles length, and most probably a good bit around the surrounding tiles too.

Whats best to do with this ? , tell them to have no showers until the walls dried, might take a long time with the cold, and it's a cold house, and I think everyone always has a shower, and hardly uses the actual bath.

Is there anything that can be done other than waiting weeks for the wall to dry, or would cement based adhesives be ok, or what ?

Any help\advise most welcome :)

D

DHTiling

Sorry Adam mate..I'm afraid it has to dry out if it has soaked in that deep..then you need to check the condition of the substrate and if appropriate remove any damaged areas and replace...sometimes the water ingression will deteriorate the background.......good luck mate....

F

Fekin

So you wouldn't consider removing the damp area of plaster and building it back up level to the wall ?

Pitty really, would be a full bathroom job if I got it, and knowing some out there would happily tile onto it... not sure what the end result would be like mind :)

I was wondering if once removed damp area back to the brick work, then sealing with some kind of tanking liquid would stop the damp from coming back on it's self, then building the wall back up level would work ?

D

DHTiling

But if the brickwork is wet too then i think it needs to dry...even if you remove the damp parts and re-do, it will still need to dry and this will take longer because the brickwork is wet as well...you could remove the damp sections of plaster this will allow the bricks to dry, either with a dehumidifier or blow heater ( air type )..then once dry .. then dry line the room....hope this helps mate...

P

penno

I would tell them it needs to dry out mate, if it takes over a week then it takes over a week. Wouldn't remove the damp areas myself.
Sounds stupid but is there a way to cover over the damp area with a black bag or something so they can still shower whilst it dries out?

Would also give them a little speech along the lines of "you could probably get another tiler in who would happily tile over the damp area but i am really not willing to do it because after a few months you will be back to square one."

Will no doubt get the job if you give them some good advice

B

brian c

good advice dh and penno,just need to let it dry out Adam,maybe put a portable heater in the room to speed this up.

C

Caledonian Tiling

Hi Brian,

As Dave mentioned could you not remove the damaged plaster area
and dry line with say 9mm plasterboard to bring out to level of existing tiles..?

This way you could get tiling a lot sooner.. just a thought...

Ian.

F

Fekin

They were covering it with a bin liner or something, but gave up with the looks of it.

Might tell'em to get the hair dryer on it, lol

F

Fred

Just finished a similar job today but in a shower unit. The client was an inpatient man and could not get through his head it takes time for things to dry out!

Reply to Damp plaster in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen