Search the forum,

Discuss damp from shower getting through wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

julie

:mad2:Hi, we have a large shower on the ground floor which we renovated the base is concrete. We removed the old wall tiles and had the walls replastered and retiled, the floor tiles were put on top of the old tiles, trap is in the middle of the floor.
A few months after it was completed we noticed damp in the ajoining room so had the waste pipe redone to make sure there wasn't a leak from the pipework underground but damp is still getting through. We then thought it might be rising damp through the ajoining wall so removed the skirting and some plaster to check the damp proof course, this was OK. Water is getting through the walls from the edges where the floor tiles meet the wall tiles, we flooded the floor and could see the water literally going through to the other room (where we have removed the skirting board) I can't believe this has happened so soon after the tiling was finished.

We have since taken up the floor tiles, the old floor tiles are still down, the new wall tiles are still on and we would like to know how to proceed without redoing the whole lot, any help would be appreciated.

J

julie

Yes it's like a wetroom but only the shower at one end of the room, there is a tiled step into the shower, so fully tiled. The sink and tiolet are in the other part of the room.

D

DHTiling

So do you have a tray or tiled shower floor..

The reason i am asking as it deffo water ingression and lack of tanking to wall/floor joints will result in a leak 100% of the time.

J

julie

It's a tiled floor, I understand what you are saying but we had it tiled by a 'professional tiler'!!:incazzato:and spoke to other people and no one suggested tanking! I assumed this was because it was a solid concrete base & not wood.
Would you say we can't regrout at the bottom of the wall tiles, where they meet the floor, then retile the floor and grout the floor tiles and make sure we do this really well so it's all sealed?

D

DHTiling

You need to make sure the adjoining substrates ( wall&floor) are water proofed to prevent any further ingression.

This is the likely place julie where water will penetrate but it can also penetrate through the wall and seep down.. but might bet is the adjoining wall/floor joint.

This can be done before you tile the floor again.. you will need to remove bottom row of wall tiles and water proof and flexible joint tape the wall/floor join..

Have you noticed any change in grout colour on the walls in the area of the leak..?

Reply to damp from shower getting through wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen