Search the forum,

Discuss Contract Laws? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

Hi guys this may not be a actual tiling related question but i will put it in tiling language....

Im sure a lot of you will have had and still do have contracts with building companys etc...

What is the law as to a pay rise with a contract.

Lets say a company wants to pay £15m2.....with the cost of living going up...in theory £15m2 should also go up?..

I have a contract with a company where the pay has stayed the same for over 2 years now. cost of living has gone up as well as fuel.

I no if you were to work for a firm you get a minimum of a 2.5% pay rise per year. apparently thats the law.

I was wondering if there is such a thing with a contract?

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Cheers, Martin.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys this may not be a actual tiling related question but i will put it in tiling language....

Im sure a lot of you will have had and still do have contracts with building companys etc...

What is the law as to a pay rise with a contract.

Lets say a company wants to pay £15m2.....with the cost of living going up...in theory £15m2 should also go up?..

I have a contract with a company where the pay has stayed the same for over 2 years now. cost of living has gone up as well as fuel.

I no if you were to work for a firm you get a minimum of a 2.5% pay rise per year. apparently thats the law.

I was wondering if there is such a thing with a contract?

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Cheers, Martin.

As far as I'm aware Martin the only contract that has to follow the law regarding pay rises is the minimum wage. Companies are not obliged to give pay rises commensurate with the cost of living. It all depends on how healthy the accounts/order books are for wage rises to be handed out, unless of course you have it written into a contract of employment that you will get x% pay rise each year.

You could approach it from a different angle by saying if you complete a job 1 day ahead of schedule then you are due a bonus, say £50. They would probably be more receptive to that than going in and asking for an extra £1 or 2 per metre

P

Pebbs

Martin do you sub contract to these companies yes?

Its a difficult one to answer, because fixing prices have actually gone down over the last few years due to the recession, but each job is priced according to how difficult it will be, well thats the way we do it. Say for instance, if we have clear areas and very little cuts, the price per m2 is given offered to the tiler. But on another contract if there were a lot of tricky bits going on the fixing price is adjusted accordingly. If your unhappy with your rates, then speak to them.

Pebbs

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware Martin the only contract that has to follow the law regarding pay rises is the minimum wage. Companies are not obliged to give pay rises commensurate with the cost of living. It all depends on how healthy the accounts/order books are for wage rises to be handed out, unless of course you have it written into a contract of employment that you will get x% pay rise each year.

You could approach it from a different angle by saying if you complete a job 1 day ahead of schedule then you are due a bonus, say £50. They would probably be more receptive to that than going in and asking for an extra £1 or 2 per metre

Minimum wage,but no law saying you should give a employee a rise every year.
Employees should realise that employers have the same problems, fuel cost of living ect ect ect .

C

Ceramico tiling

You sound like you have an agreement with the contractor. A contract can be written or verbal, and unless there are any terms prohibiting you from changing your rate, you can change the agreement terms any time you like,but the contractor has no obligation to up your rates. I don't think this will have anything to do with employment law,,but Google it M8

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dougs Third Go

Martino, I've got a big red book on contract law that I studied when I did my HNC, pm me your address and I'll post it to you.

Reaction score
Does the contract have a length of time on it. As in, when its time to re-new the contract, that's the time to re-negotiate rates etc

W

wildeywilde

There is no law that dictates how much two companies must agree to pay for services provided by one company to the other. Minimum wage, cost of living increases, none of it applies to contracts between two companies (which is what you intimate is the case here).

If you are unsatisfied with the rates, then attempt to re-negotiate the contract. All contracts can be re-negotiated at any time and, as long as both signatories concur, can be amended.

If the building company will not agree to revised rates then your only option is to terminate the contract and stop providing services to them. Depending what the termination clauses (that you signed up to) stipulate, this may be possible at any time without penalty, or there may be penalties. Only you can determine whether it is better to continue "as is" until such time as you can terminate without penalty, or to early terminate and run the risk of being sued for lack of performance

Reply to Contract Laws? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen