Discuss Confirmation of Self Levelling Compound required. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aspesim

Hi Guys

I have a plywood floor overlad with hardie backer board, I was going to feather out the 3/4mm dip in the floor with addy but it turns out my feathering was worse then my plastering.... (who would have known)!!!!

Anyway I've decided to carry on with the loose cable underfloor heating installation (warmup) and then use a SLC. Am I right, that I HAVE to use a fibra bonded SLC?
Where could I buy it off the shelf or where is the best place to buy online?

As always thanks guys.
Simon.

KevinH

TF
Reaction score
Re: Confirmation of Self Levelling Compound requied.

Hi Simon

(I reply as an enthusiastic amateur who has just finished an en-suite with loose wire UFH).

I don't think it is a question of having to use fibre bonded, but more of a question of why wouldn't you? You are going to alot of trouble and expense to do the job right. The difference in cost between an non-fibre SLC and a good quality one is going to be less than the cost of fixing the job down the line when things start failing.

I used Mapei ultraplan renovation screed from Tile Giant. can't remember the exact price but it wasn't much over 20quid a bag. I'd never used SLC before but careful measurement of the SLC and water, using a paddle mixer and sealing the edge of the room with leftovers of the 6mm marmox meant I'd poured 2x2m in under 10 mins with the wife standing by to mix more if required. Just helped the SLC into the corners with a trowel but had to do virtually nothing else.

One of the key lessons learnt from the good folks here was to use a hot glue gun to fix down the loose wire. I should have glued in more places as I did have a couple of sections of the wire make a run for the surface of the slc and I had to push them back under the surface. Left a week (only working at weekends) I then had a perfect surface to tile onto.

A

Aspesim

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I have about the same size room as yourself. How many bags did it take and did you have any left over (just in-case) or did you use the whole lot.

Thanks again
Simon.

KevinH

TF
Reaction score

Hi Simon

I used a new thin wire from Uheat which was about 3-4mm thick. The SLC was about 5-6mm thick and in the end I used 1 full 25Kg bag and 5Kg from another bag.

DSC01711.jpg IMG_5723.jpg

The shower tray was 800x1200 close to 3sqm floor area.

Cheers - Kev

Reply to Confirmation of Self Levelling Compound required. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks