Discuss Chlorine on tiles? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

MHT

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

My very post so please accept ignorance in all things tile related. We have recently moved into an older house with a Victoria tiled floor. I am embarking upon cleaning and wondered if it's a silly idea to use concentrated chlorine to get rid of deep dirt once an initial acid wash is done?
I have chlorine granules which I use in our swimming pool but after accidentally spilling some and seeing its potential alternative uses I now often use it on outdoor patio tiles and it's amazing how well it blasts away deep ingrained dirt with no scrubbing at all!
Of course I dont want to try this on the indoor tiles if its likely to react / strip colour or damage the tiles.

Thanks in advance!

J

J Sid

Hi, I'd be more worried about the gases given of in internal areas, but I'm not a chemist just a lowly tiler
Welcome

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume this is a hallway type scenario? You got any pictures by any chance?

MHT

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah fumes are a worry! Gas mask at the ready perhaps. It is a hallway, images of front and back attached.
20191012_090834.jpg
20191012_090814.jpg

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found some in my hall under laminate. Mine arent anywhere near the condition of yours. And I'm going give them a quick clean and seal them as is. I think keeping the age marks can keep the character.

People having new ones installed often want the reclaimed but realise the price.

It'd almost be a shame to ruin them with chemical cleaning to make them look new. Just IMO of course.

MHT

-
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Spent the day scrubbing and brushing the front hall using regular stripper. Took on board all the comments about gases and risk and so just did a few spots of high concentration chlorine on some dirtier tiles as a safe test... result? Did absolutely nothing! 🤣 so that's that them.
Totally agree with Dan, the antique look fits the house rather than brand new, to be fair with all the old polish off they have come up really well anyway.

Tomorrow.... polishing.

MHT

-
Reaction score
So I finally got round to polishing my back hall.... polish seems to have gone very patchy / dried uneven. Where did I go wrong? Bit hard to get an image to show the issue but I think this one does.
20191103_074842.jpg

Reply to Chlorine on tiles? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks