Currently reading:
Beginner's help with out of square corner for quadrant shower

Discuss Beginner's help with out of square corner for quadrant shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

ellexesse

Hi

Firstly, apologies for being a total beginner, and possibly asking some dumb questions but I would really appreciate some help!

I am attempting to tile a quadrant shower, and have realised that the corner is out of square. From the shower tray to the top of the tiling (1900mm) it decreases in width by 1.5cm from the centre line. Is this going to look terrible if I have to taper the inside corner tiles? They are 25cm tall tiles.

I have already tanked the walls etc so can't really go back to making them square. Possibly stupid I know.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if not and I'll try to rephrase it!

Elle

L

Lodger

Hi. If you have already tiled one side of the wall, then you have no choice but to start with a cut tile at the bottom (shower tray) so your top tile is near enough full width. If you haven't tiled your out of plumb wall, then you can build it out with adhesive so It's near as plumb as possible. Most if not all original walls are out of plumb. The wider the tile, the less obvious it looks. Hope that helps.

E

ellexesse

I haven't done any tiling yet. So, would I forget about tiling from the centre-line (thus making it not symmetrical) ? If I did this, would I therefore need to draw new grid starting from the top, in order to work out where the bottom cut tile would lie etc?

Also, do you have any tips on how to build out with adhesive?

Is it better to taper from a full tile at the top? I had worked out that I could position the tiles so that the edge tiles were pretty much around half a tile width.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Hi and welcome,
If this is your own shower then the best thing is to decide if you can live with the wall being 15mm out? I've pointed out to customer before where walls have run out but they've prefered for me to go ahead and tile rather than pay for it to be squared up. The other thing to remember is there are 2 ways of setting out from the centre, one way is to have the edge of a tile on the centre line the other is to have the middle of the tile on the centre line. Go with whichever gives you the largest cut down the sides. The larger the cut then the less obvious the 15mm will be, good luck

Reply to Beginner's help with out of square corner for quadrant shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.