Search the forum,

Discuss BAL Adhesives - are they worth it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cr0ft

Hi all,

Up to recently I've used BAL tubbed adhesive for small format tiles and Topps Trade cement-based adhesives for large format. I find when starting tiling from the middle of the wall the Topps Trade adhesive lets the tiles slip too much, no matter how hard they are twisted and pressed onto the wall. Is BAL adhesive better for holding tiles? Is it any better in general to justify paying 4x more? Advice appreciated!

S

Spud

Bal is one of the best brands in the UK market and you will struggle to find a pro tiler to say anything negative about their adhesive other than the price is higher than the budget brands, Topps is a predominantly retail outlet and Bal adhesives can be purchased at more competitive rates else where ,I dont use too much Bal my self these days but I have used it loads in the past and like most of there products

C

cr0ft

I just find it much more accurate for setting out full-height tiling around bathrooms. It halves any error from the top to the bottom of the wall in terms of tiles not quite square, tiny errors in level line etc. Up until recently Topps cement adhesive will grip a large format tile with no slip on the wall, allowing you to do this. I don't know if something has changed in their recipe recently but it doesn't work so well now.

Been doing it for ages after having watched how quickly another tiler did a bathroom using the method. Put the middle row on above the bath and basin/cistern height, all the way round the bathroom = perfect lineup. By the time you come back to the first wall one person can work above the middle row and another below. Finally do the top and bottom cutting but to fixed tiles = a nice accurate gap between wall and floor tiles all round the room.

It did seem a bit mad to me before I tried it but it's much faster than starting from the bottom of the wall imo.

C

cr0ft

LOL thanks. Take this one though. If you start from the floor and have to go to full height round a whole bathroom. You start tiling from the wall to the left of the bath say. You put in the first row then tile the whole wall. Then you do the right hand wall. Unless you are 100% accurate with your level line height and angle on both walls your grout lines aren't going to meet up perfectly on the bath wall. My method might sound madder than a mad thing but I know that my grout lines are going to meet up perfectly round the entire room!

Interesting point about the summer/winter batches though!

Unless you are 100% accurate with your level line height and angle on both walls your grout lines aren't going to meet up perfectly on the bath wall. My method might sound madder than a mad thing but I know that my grout lines are going to meet up perfectly round the entire room!

But if you put a datum / level around the whole room as I would then you know your going to be right, so what do you do, back skim the tile to get the first row in, what's the other guy doing while your doing that ? and what if your out by the time you get around the room, where / what do you adjust ?

Reply to BAL Adhesives - are they worth it? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.