Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss B & Q Porcelain Tile Advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

vinny v

Firstly I would like to just simply say hi to all on this site as this is my first post.
I am not a professional and have been given the task of tiling my kitchen floor following a recent extension. ( am keen to get some brownie points too and enjoy a challenge )
The tiles she has seen are the B and Q 600 x 600 grey polished porcelain at about £11.98 a box. The floor is concrete and 25m2 sealed with pva, south facing with plenty of sun. Has got pretty warm in the recent heat.
I have only ever done a small amount of tiling in the past and have never embarked on a project this large before. I am keen to make a good job of this and am after some sound advice please.
I understand that the tiles are probably not the best quality at this price but I have read that they need sealing and possibly even cleaning prior to laying.
I am also a little confused about the sealing process, I have a water cooled tile cutter and was concerned that the water on the tile could stain its surface. Do I seal and then cut or cut and then seal prior to laying.
Any recommendation on adhesive, sealant and grout ??
I am truly grateful for any help and advice.
V

S

smurf21

First off all you need to lose the PVA unfortunatly pva has no buisiness on any tiling installation whotsoever it will only render the fixing of the tles to floor useless it creates a thin film of glue and that is all your floor tiles will stick too it needs to be removed and a correct primer used....sorry as far as the wet cutter is concerned should not be a problem as porcelain is pretty much impervious to water work cleanly and wipe of straight after cutting and seal the tiles after there laid. you may need to remove any waxes that may be on the tiles prior to sealing..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

his will explain why p.v.a has no purpose in tiling-http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-adhesive-grout-prep-forum/2511-p-v-versus-primers.html?highlight=p.v.a
i would use a rapid setting adhesive,it doesn't have to be flexible,and i would also seal after laying and after grouting,nake sure you wipe away any excess adhesive that comes through the tiles when laying:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
PVA again :yikes:

V

vinny v

his will explain why p.v.a has no purpose in tiling-http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-adhesive-grout-prep-forum/2511-p-v-versus-primers.html?highlight=p.v.a
i would use a rapid setting adhesive,it doesn't have to be flexible,and i would also seal after laying and after grouting,nake sure you wipe away any excess adhesive that comes through the tiles when laying:thumbsup:

Many thanks.

I read the link and seems to make sense. Only problem now is that I've got a kitchen floor coated in PVA !! Any ideas on ways of removing the PVA to replce it with a proper primer. :oops:

S

smurf21

just add water and scrub when it gets wet it returns to mushy glue another reason not to use.....Also with regard to Adhesive it doesnt have to be flexi but it does have to suitable for porcelain tiles check with your supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vinny v

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.

Let the scrubbing commence and I'll let you know how I get on !!

V

H

hillhead

Good luck vinny and don't mix too much adhesive if its a rapid set,mix small bits to stick 2-4 tiles maybe then it stays fresher for you.If you or your family etc don't have to walk on the floor for a couple of days the i'd use a standard set adhesive for ease of working with(it last for hours in your bucket).

T

Tommy

B&Q Porcelain tiles are normally coated with a wax but check the box first dont use rapid set if this is your first go at tiling allow a couple of days for the adhesive to set clean the tiles then seal take your time speed comes with practice good luck :hurray:

Reply to B & Q Porcelain Tile Advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks