Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss ATS Mitre Profiling Tool in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I received one of these last week, as I have a job this week that needs a lot of mitring as the clients do not want any trim. Just so I'm not ruining any expensive tiles, I thought I'd have a little practice before unleashing it on a paid job! I tried it on a polished porcelain, a low grade travertine tile and a thin ceramic. The results were very impressive and it didn't take much getting used to. I found it was much better to take the bulk of the material off by hand first, a) to speed up the process and b) to extend the life of the tool. The pictures aren't the best quality but, hopefully it will give people some idea of what results you will get, I'll add pictures of the job I'm starting this week as I go along. It's also worth mentioning that it is possible to go too far on the mitre, which will cause chipping so, you do need to keep your eye on it, I believe the tool is designed to mitre up to 12mm tiles so tiles thinner than this can be mitred but, you can cut too far, it took me less than half an hour to get the feel for it. Anyway here's a few photos, I've included one one of a travertine tile that chipped as I went a bit too deep on it, all pics are a first attempt, I am 100% confident that this tool will produce excellent results when I use it for real.

rebute9u.jpg

ese9a9uv.jpg

ajydapyz.jpg

u7y6e3up.jpg

ehavatus.jpg

u9u6egy4.jpg

OP
C

Concrete guy

Thanks Bri,

Did the porcelain chip or just the travertine?

I have feeling that travertine falls into the same category as ceramic tile where this tool is concerned. The cutting head is a little too aggressive.

I might experiment with some finer grit cutting heads and see if they produce better results in less dense material. It might be that I end up with a range of these cutters offered to cut Hard, medium and soft products.

The polished porcelain looks nice I'm quite pleased with the outcome of that.

OP
I

Ian

Not a single chip on the porcelain Alan, genuinely. The tool will be fine on travertine I'm sure of that, I've got a couple of good pieces of travertine on another job, I'll run the tool over that and see what happens. The trav in this pic is low grade and to be fair it's still done a decent job of it. I reckon once the tool has bedded in a little it won't be so aggressive on softer tiles. It's a really handy little tool mate, I really do like it and it was really easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Concrete guy

I was asked about travertine on another thread on here I suggested the quality may determine what you can do with it.

The higher the quality, the less filler and the more like marble the product becomes, so it's more likely to mitre better.

On a lower quality product with 15% to 20% filler or thereabouts an R10 half bullnose with an overlap is probably a better finish for travertine rather than a mitre.

OP
I

Ian

I do prefer the bullnose finish on stone to be fair, and customers love it. It's nice to be able to offer both options though.

OP
G

Gazzer

Just got back from seeing a job, 300 x 100 Marble on the walls , travertine on floor. Dead straight room with just one big window. Now to mitre,polish edges, bullnose or as client has just asked for ....TRIM ?

OP
C

Concrete guy

On marble, I'm a fan of half bullnose or square polished.

Why would someone buy marble and then consider using trim?

OP
I

Ian

Just got back from seeing a job, 300 x 100 Marble on the walls , travertine on floor. Dead straight room with just one big window. Now to mitre,polish edges, bullnose or as client has just asked for ....TRIM ?

Nooooooooo! Don't let them do it, it'd be a crime! I'll report you to the stone police :)

rabw

-
Reaction score
Old thread I know, but anyone know where you get get this mitre profiling tool for your angle grinder? Can't find it anywhere.

Reply to ATS Mitre Profiling Tool in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock