Search the forum,

Discuss Aquapanel/tiling questions. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tomba26

Hi all,
Got a few questions and looking for a little input if poss.
Recently had to rip out old plasterboard, tiles etc in a bathroom as it was time for a refurb.

Basically there is a bath which has a shower above. It is to be tiled around the bath/shower but the tiles do not go all the way to the ceiling, the stop 18-20 inches (approx) before the ceiling, this section is to be skimmed and painted.
I intend to use aquapanels where the tiles are going and moisture resistant plasterboard above which will be skimmed.

How would you suggest sealing the joint where the aquapanel meats the MR plasterboard, - adhesive, grout, silicone? As mentioned there will be plasterboard above the aqua panels and also to the right of the bath where the shower screen ends so I want to get this joint water tight.

What's the best way to seal the joints where the aquapanels meet each other around the bath-use the available aquapanel tape or just fill with adhesive and then scrim tape?

Do the aquapanels require priming with something or not? I suspect the panels dont tbh.

Oh and is it necessary to use the ceramic screws for the aquapanels?

I'm a joiner by trade and do a bit of tiling but not really used aqua panels before so hopefully some of you lads can steer me right.

Thanks folks.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Aquapanel isn't waterproof, it just won't break down, if it comes in contact with water the water will pass through it. If tile sizes are not to heavy then just plasterboard the lot, tank the wet areas, job done.

T

tomba26

Thanks fellas....are tile backer boards gypsum based and sold as 'tile backer boards'? Never noticed em before.

Sounds like plasterboarding it and tanking could be easier as it's just one type of board. I take it you lads dont rate aquaboard then?

T

tomba26

If using tile backer boards or aquapanels and then normal plasterboard above the tiled area, where would you have the joint? I was thinking of having the joint where backer board/aquapanels meet just under the last tile, that way the joint is covered by a tile....the plasterboard being tanked.
Do you fellas not rate the aqua panels then? I always asumed they were the best thing for showers/baths.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If your skimming the plasterboard then have the joint above the last tile and skim the lot, the only reason I say to use plasterboard where weight allows is because of cost, PB being cheaper than AP and the likes, and both still need tanking, unless you go to another backerboard as has been said.

Reply to Aquapanel/tiling questions. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen