Search the forum,

Discuss apprentice woes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

i started my son as an apprentice , he has been helping me occasional weekends and one day a week for about 3 months now he is full time he hates it all i am hearing is that his mates are on better money doing less hours ,he handed in his notice today he is 16 and wants to take home £200 per week i pay him £125 he cant grout yet and seems reluctant to even try to learn how to do it .do you think it is an age thing or is he just not cut out for the game ?,all i keep thinking is there must be loads of lads out there who would appreciate the opportunity to learn a trade any advice would be appreciated

D

davy_G

Let him go and see life in the real world isnt as easy as his mates say. He will have to get up earlier to get himself to work, the boss might not be as understanding and the £200 might be more money but the job might not be worth doing.
Let him go and if he comes back well and good, if not then its just not for him

M

MrSpoon

16 is young tho, i could never work in the same place as my dad, no particular reason really other than wanting to do my own thing and not be like every other family member earning big money at rolls royce, so i chose sainsburys :lol::mad2:

W

White Room

I think some of the lads don't look to the future it's now and I want to earn good money. It sound like he's not interested at the moment, Let him go and he'll find work somewhere else and then see what he thinks he may even have second thoughts or make his own way. I know your concerns but you can hopefully advice him in any future career

P

pjtiler

i started my son as an apprentice , he has been helping me occasional weekends and one day a week for about 3 months now he is full time he hates it all i am hearing is that his mates are on better money doing less hours ,he handed in his notice today he is 16 and wants to take home £200 per week i pay him £125 he cant grout yet and seems reluctant to even try to learn how to do it .do you think it is an age thing or is he just not cut out for the game ?,all i keep thinking is there must be loads of lads out there who would appreciate the opportunity to learn a trade any advice would be appreciated
its ether in them or its not mate you cant force them these days
200 today or 150 leading to 1000 plus in 4 years

M

MrSpoon

could perhaps get him into the idea of plastering or plumbing? or something along those lines, then when hes older and wiser you'll be sending eachother work left right and centre and making a mint too ( all being well)

P

pjtiler

could perhaps get him into the idea of plastering or plumbing? or something along those lines, then when hes older and wiser you'll be sending eachother work left right and centre and making a mint too ( all being well)
you need someone else to have a word with the lad really
kids just dont lision to dads
i wish i could but im to far away

M

MrSpoon

very true, the more my old man used to get me into things and tell me to do stuff the more i did the opposite :joker:

Reply to apprentice woes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen