Search the forum,

Discuss angle grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I am just googling angle grinders and am confused as to the difference between them. I'd like one to mainly smooth off edges of my glass mosaics, and I have had a commission of a mosaic on steel... long story, and need to smooth that edge, too, together with the glass, just to make it safer, it will not be set into tiles.

Got a good collection of power tools but have never used an angle grinder, and got given a 125x22mm silicon carbide resin bond fibre disc (Horse brand) so would be handy to get a grinder I can fit that on.

Any advice as to what to look out for? Do's and don'ts? Thanks in advance...

D

DHTiling

G..

Dewalt do some crackers... but a nice light one is what you want..

Check out the makita one on tradetiler.

Makita 115 mm Angle Grinder

Slider switch can be locked in the on position. Reinforced motor windings ensure protection from dust & grit. A spindle lock enables easy blade changing. Adjustable guard.

Includes side handle carry case and diamond wheel (segmented concrete cutting)

12 Months Warranty.

710W motor (not many small grinders have a motor this powerful)

Weight only 1.75kg

G

Gazzer

I have 3 of those Makitas, cant go wrong with them IMO. i think 125mm is too big for tiling though. I used to have a Bosch 100mm when i was in Australia but its hard getting the wheels over here.

U

user123

How big are the mosaic pieces Gisella, just thinking about your pinkies

do you not think a bench grinder would be better for shaping mosaics?

The glass pieces are small, John, and sharp, no need to shape them much, just smooth the sharp edges and in this case the metal with it...

what's a bench grinder Doug? If it's one to fit on the bench, hmm, no, with an akward piece to control, I rather control the grinder... really know nothing,as you can tell, but angle grinders seem to be popping up in the mosaic world, and suddenly I seem to need one..
googled some of the uses and think, hmm, can cut tile with it, and maybe metal, hmm, has sculptural potential it seems, so it would be good to be able to be flexible with it...

Like the idea of light, Dave...:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

this is a bench grinder G, I use one to sharpen kitchen knives, chisels etc.
P12111065a.jpg

D

DHTiling

Not because you is a lady G.. just the lighter the grinder the easier to hold and manoeuvre and also hold for longer periods of time.:thumbsup:

A

Aston

the makita are a little bit slimer that the dewalt and bosch, they are good to manouver :thumbsup: ive got 240v and 110v

cheers
ed

Reply to angle grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen