Search the forum,

Discuss advice wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Not in the eyes of the law.

My suggestion would be to pursue him but unfortunately based on what he has done so far you might struggle to get hold of him to sort it out.

If that's the case then I'm happy to be wrong Alan!

S

Stef

As Impish has stated, I would contact him & tell him that you will be leaving an honest review through rated people & give him a chance to "try" & rectify problem tiles.
Only problem is though that once you try & rectify one tile then you move the problem onto the next ones & this just keeps repeating itself.
By the sounds of things he's a tiler of many years of experience that's too set in his ways.
Good luck on this one.
Try & upload some pics & we will get a clearer view of what's happening.

T

TJ Smiler

Any luck with the picture yet? Well obviously not i suppose as it's not up yet :lol: i'll rephrase any chance you can put the photo up so we can all have a laugh?

Sorry to hear you paid someone who wanted to use 6mm ply with nails then eventually ended up using what his customer advised, how much did you pay him?

L

lomond

Having paid him there's little you can do now.
Payment can be said to be acceptance of the work and completion of contract.
Independent inspection and legal pursuit would be your only option now I think (I'm no expert though).
If he values his rating on Rated People (which has now shown it's real "worth") you could always tell him that if he doesn't want you to leave a very honest review with links to pictures or even this thread, then you want him to.........
Just an idea!

Thanks for the advice impish. I have been in touch with the tiler and he is coming back to replace the worst 3 tiles. However, I am concerned that the floor may sustain worse damage if the three tiles are smashed out. can you advise if 800 x 40 porcelein tiles can be replaced once the floor has been laid and grouted? Are the adjacent tiles or plywood sub floor affected by smashing out the tiles that have excess lippage? I will try to send a photo again of the the tiles.

Thanks,

Lomond

L

lomond

Any luck with the picture yet? Well obviously not i suppose as it's not up yet :lol: i'll rephrase any chance you can put the photo up so we can all have a laugh?

Sorry to hear you paid someone who wanted to use 6mm ply with nails then eventually ended up using what his customer advised, how much did you pay him?

Hi Smiler,

I have tried to pm the photo to whitebeam just now. I got three quotes and went with the most experienced tiler. all the quotes were in the same ballpark and I paid £**/squ m--but I am not sure the price should be a factor--I was prepared to pay more for reasonable work---he seems to have pride in his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ Smiler

No the price isn't a factor, however much you pay you expect professional standards if that's what there saying they are. Was more out of interest than anything an to see what type of person he is.

L

lomond

I've sent you a PM with regards to pictures.

Hi Bri,

I have sent a pm and I think the picture is attached this time. The tile is just above the level of the 50p (for scale), which measures 2mm. I can send more pictures if that one isnt suitable.

Shame really as the tiler is a realy nice guy. I wasnt there when the room was tiled---maybe he didnt check the work with a straight edge? Still not sure if its feasible to replace these tiles once they are down--but I need to make a decision tomorrow to have them replaced or not. Normally, I would accept his expert judgement--but I am no longer confident as the results are not good.--i.e. 6mm ply, nails, variation in gaps between tiles and tile joints staggered. I appreciate the forum members advice

Thanks,

Lomond

Reply to advice wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen