Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss advice wanted in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lomond

Hi folks

I have just paid an experienced tiler for tiling my hallway with 800mm x 40mm wood effect porceilin tiles, but I am concerned that the floor may now be hazardous to my toddler grandkid if they walk on it with their bare feet. about 1/3rd of the tiles have a lippage of 1 to 2.5mm. I am unsure if this is an acceptable standard of work and I am not sure wether he will be within his rights to say this is an acceptable finish. He originally wanted to lay a sub base of 6mm ply. But i insisted that he use 9mm ply. I wanted him to screw it down but he used ring nails anyway and said he has never had any complaints in 40 odd years. I felt I had to trust his judgement and went along with it. But now that I see the lippage and variation in grout lines of between 2mm and 4mm, I am concerned and feel i should ask him back to rectify. Can any professionals out there advise me if I am being unreasonable or not--before I contact him?

Many thanks --in anticipation

Lomond

O

One Day

The simple fact he wanted 6mm ply and that he was then happy with 9mm ply says he's a joker.
The job sounds awful as I'm sure pics would prove.
1st big question: Have you paid him?

L

lomond

The simple fact he wanted 6mm ply and that he was then happy with 9mm ply says he's a joker.
The job sounds awful as I'm sure pics would prove.
1st big question: Have you paid him?

I have paid him. I that suggested he sends me an invoice before payment--but he said that was not possible. I trusted his ability because I contacted him through rated people and he seemed good as he has a bathroom conversions business and has a separate card as a tiler. Pictures will be on the way soon if I can figure how to get them from my wifes i-pad

Thanks

Lomond

W

White Room

Hi Whitebeam, just trying to figure out how to insert pictures into the thread

Thanks,

Lomond

Where you make a post there are symbols above the box, click on the third symbol from the right hand side and it will indicate "insert image".

L

lomond

Where you make a post there are symbols above the box, click on the third symbol from the right hand side and it will indicate "insert image".

2nd attempt at sending photo--my last one got an alert to say I had exceeded the allowed file size.

O

One Day

Having paid him there's little you can do now.
Payment can be said to be acceptance of the work and completion of contract.
Independent inspection and legal pursuit would be your only option now I think (I'm no expert though).
If he values his rating on Rated People (which has now shown it's real "worth") you could always tell him that if he doesn't want you to leave a very honest review with links to pictures or even this thread, then you want him to.........
Just an idea!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Having paid him there's little you can do now.
Payment can be said to be acceptance of the work and completion of contract.
Independent inspection and legal pursuit would be your only option now I think (I'm no expert though).
If he values his rating on Rated People (which has now shown it's real "worth") you could always tell him that if he doesn't want you to leave a very honest review with links to pictures or even this thread, then you want him to.........
Just an idea!

Not in the eyes of the law.

My suggestion would be to pursue him but unfortunately based on what he has done so far you might struggle to get hold of him to sort it out.

O

One Day

Not in the eyes of the law.

My suggestion would be to pursue him but unfortunately based on what he has done so far you might struggle to get hold of him to sort it out.

If that's the case then I'm happy to be wrong Alan!

S

Stef

As Impish has stated, I would contact him & tell him that you will be leaving an honest review through rated people & give him a chance to "try" & rectify problem tiles.
Only problem is though that once you try & rectify one tile then you move the problem onto the next ones & this just keeps repeating itself.
By the sounds of things he's a tiler of many years of experience that's too set in his ways.
Good luck on this one.
Try & upload some pics & we will get a clearer view of what's happening.

T

TJ Smiler

Any luck with the picture yet? Well obviously not i suppose as it's not up yet :lol: i'll rephrase any chance you can put the photo up so we can all have a laugh?

Sorry to hear you paid someone who wanted to use 6mm ply with nails then eventually ended up using what his customer advised, how much did you pay him?

Reply to advice wanted in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks