Search the forum,

Discuss advice wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Here's the photo. Could possibly do with a couple more to get a better idea what the whole area looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 86
L

lomond

As Bri...

Hi
An update: Tiler returning this afternoon to replace some tiles--He is going to remove 3 tiles without removing the existing grout first--Is this good practice or will this likely damage the adjacent tiles adhesion? Instruction on the web describes removing the grout before smashing out tiles to be replaced.

Lomond

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The grout around the tile should be removed first. This isolates the tile from the others and reduces the chances of cracking the surrounding tiles when the one to be replaced is smashed by a hammer. Your photo also shows that there is grout haze on the tiles. This should be washed off with an acid and then washed again with clean water.

J

jonnyc

you definitely have to cut through the joint to at least bottom of tile . this separates surounding tiles .

L

lomond

As above remove grout first....

Hi guys'
Update: Excessive lippage tiles successfully replaced and I am happy with the final result. I might not have asked my tiler back without your advice---I am glad I did!

Thanks,

Lomond

L

lomond

I take it he removed the grout first then...

Hi Whitebeam--he didnt, but he took his time an smashed them out "carefully". However, it was your advice that 2mm lippage is excessive that confirmed I had to call him back to replace some of the tiles. and I am relieved that he is an honorable bloke that is prepared to rectify faults.

As an aside folks-- As a member of the public, is it reasonable to set a specification for a job? e.g.--Would it have been better when advertising for this job and after gleening advice from this forum--I could have specified that a minimum of screwed (5inch centres) 9mm exterior ply sub base; 1.5mm tile spacers; maximum lippage 1mm. In this way all three quotes would have been on a "level playing field"

Thanks,

Lomond

T

Time's Ran Out

You should do your homework to ensure you are aware of certain criteria, however you assess each individual on many elements - including references before allocating your work and hard earned money!
IMO all your specifications are incorrect so I wouldn't have got/want the job anyway!

Reply to advice wanted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen