Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please-I don't want to get out of my depth! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redrex

Morning all,

Had a call through Google people the other day, it was a bit of a surprise as I had completely forgotten that I had signed up after reading about it on here. Anyways, a local developer was desperately seeking as apparently west lonondon has a tiler drought....he has 2 bathrooms to do (1 proper bathroom & 1 wet room), total area approx 45 sq/m. He has boarded out in aquadec and will be sorting the floors properly-the wet room already has the former in place-has got decoupling membrane etc....I have had a brief look and a chat and actually the walls are billiard flat and it looks like his chippies are pretty clued up and will leave me with some really hassle free surfaces, the guy even asked for my input if I thought things could be done any better/differently. Sounds like a dream doesnt it? However! He has decided to use a job lot of tiles he has left over from another development...they are 10mmx20mm tumbled trav mosaics....and other than a bit of the floor in both rooms, which are having 400x200, wants the mosaics everywhere. Now having got home last night my brain started working....a couple of potential problems I can see.First off, he wants the trav left open and even sealing the trav, I cant help thinking that after a few months of using both rooms, a lot of dead skin, soap and general muck is going to build up in the tiles and pretty soon is going to build up black mould and smell rotten but he does want them open.I am thinking of suggesting that at least in the areas around the shower in the wetroom and on the floor in the bathroom he thinks about either filling the holes or get already filled and honed tiles instead...what do you think? Secondly, even if he does go for the above there will still be 30odd sq/m of mosaics between the two rooms.....am I missing something or am I looking at having to use a grout gun or bag, cos I just cant see how else I'm going to be able to give a clean grout finish otherwise? I can't help thinking that this is also going to take a couple of days itself? If any one has any suggestions, I would be very happy to hear your advice.

Cheers

P

peckers

imo all holes should be filled with grout or as you have said use filled tiles instead. You can still keep the rustic look with filling the holes with grout if thats what he wants.
I dont like the thought of all the soap/shampoo etc getting in behind the back of the tiles threw the holes, it could stain the tiles etc as it is drawn back threw the surface.
I think if done the way he asks there could be problems ahead imo.

D

doug boardley

as above redrex, grout all the pits and seal with a good quality impregnating sealer

J

jay

as above and let builder and owner know your concerns and possibly make suggestions as to ways to overcome them :8:

G

Gazzer

As above and to add...i dont believe the story about a tiler shortage ! Maybe the tilers he has asked have said what we all are saying. I would also find out who has done his fixing before and find out why they are not doing this one.

R

redrex

Thanks for all the excellent advice and suggestions. That was the only way I could think of myself. Interesting re the guys previous tilers, I did ask who he has used in the past and he seemed to only ask tilers in for specific jobs rather than building up a relationship....who knows what that really means? Anyway, the only other thing I was pondering was price and rather than start another post maybe some thoughts here? Making the assumption that there will be very little prep work and whilst not a technically difficult job compared to some I have done, this could stretch out a bit in time to get a really good finish, especially with the mosaics. So I'm figuring about 4/5 days for the proper bathroom and maybe a week or so for the wetroom (which is going to have the mosaics absolutely everywhere) so. lets say 2 weeks worth being conservative. Would £1250 and £1500 respectively (plus materials) sound ok'ish? Normally I'd think at pricing all in but how much grout is a total guess at this stage and I wouldn't want to be caught out. Or does this sound a lot-problem is, even at that figure 2 weeks'ish work, tax NI etc, etc...Im looking at clearing maybe £2000? and it isnt cheap to live here in Sunny Chiswick!

Thanks again

Ed

B

brian c

you are the tiler redrex not him..i know he is the pay master but the tiles need filled m8.The money you are quoting is great imo if you can get that.:thumbsup:

£61.11m2 wow !!!!! plus materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LM Ceramics

got to agree with brian your price is abit on the high side as mentioned by sir ramic it is doubtful that there are a tiler shortage and usually developers/builders allocate all there work to one certain tiler so be cautious with this one

raise your concerns to him and see if you can come to an agreement take your time on the job make it a good job and if everything works out well then hopefully he ll put more work your way

B

brian c

Just to add..if he has agreed to your price then i would get it in writing and agree a method and timescale for payment....just be careful here imho.

R

redrex

Cheers again guys, maybe it is a little high at first glance and I may incorporate addy into that but still a bit reluctant to include an unknown cost if I end up having to fill the tiles. I will be submiting my figures tomorrow and see where we go from there. I generally ask for a 10% deposit at agreement but will defo take all your advice and tread carefully.

Cheers

Ed

Reply to Advice please-I don't want to get out of my depth! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen