Currently reading:
Advice on travertine floor

Discuss Advice on travertine floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aytiling

TF
Arms
Nottingham
I understand what you are saying but you can lay the mat on top or below...I think we are agreed on that now.
As for repairs if needed , high voltage is put through the system and by the use of a thermal imaging camera they can detect where the break is. Ok so you have to go through Ditra layer but having never had to do it , I aint worrying too much. :smilewinkgrin:
I actually had to do it once, guy from DK heating did the business for me and saved my bacon I can tell you. Gets my goat when there is so much BS written about what is basically not a very difficult job, then someone comes along and spouts more BS (British Standards) at someone with more experience than they have years on this earth.

G

Gazzer

I actually had to do it once, guy from DK heating did the business for me and saved my bacon I can tell you. Gets my goat when there is so much BS written about what is basically not a very difficult job, then someone comes along and spouts more BS (British Standards) at someone with more experience than they have years on this earth.

Yeah well thats the way it works sometimes, cant win at times.

T

The D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::prrr:

M

Matt

According to Schluter, Ditra does not eliminate the need for expansion joints. Taken from the Ditra PDF:

"Movement joints:
Schlüter-DITRA must be separated at existing movement joints. If Schlüter-DITRA is used as a waterproofing layer, the joints between the sheets must be covered with Schlüter-KERDI-FLEX band.
Movement joints must be continued in the tile covering, as specified by the applicable industry standards. In all other cases, large area floor assemblies installed over Schlüter-DITRA must be subdivided into smaller fields with the help of movement joints. The distance between such control joints in exterior applications (balconies and terraces) should not exceed three metres. Depending on the construction of the substrate, field sizes may need to be smaller. Please refer to our Schlüter-DILEX profile series. Install the corresponding profiles such as Schlüter-DILEX-BT or Schlüter-DILEX-KSBT over expansion joints in accordance with the expected movements.
It must be assured that no tension can build at the edge of coverings, e.g. at upright construction elements or floor to wall transitions. The edge profiles and connective joints have to meet the requirements of the corresponding construction standards and must be suitable to prevent the build up of tensions. Please refer to our Schlüter-DILEX profile series."

My mistake and I apologise, you are correct that Ditra can be installed below UFH, but it is more effective over the UFH:

"Schlüter-DITRA may be installed either above or below the heating mat. However, the uncoupling function is more effective if Schlüter-DITRA is installed above the heating mat."

Last edited by a moderator:
M

micko

Thanks for the answers.
Everything make sense to me now (to an expert would have made sense ages ago :lol:).
So the procedure is: prime last layer of ply with sbr (should i prime even the top side to stop the moisture from the screed to warp the ply?), ufh, 2 part latex leveling compound, wait until completely dry, prime with sbr again, flexi adhesive (2 part or single part?)with a 4mm square notched trowel (should be enough since the level compound will be flat) then bed the ditra mat into it (pressing firmly, checking for coverage), then flexi adhesive (again 2 part or single? i would say 2 part) with a 10 mm half moon trowel, then bed the tiles (after back buttering)onto that as usual (i would love spacing to be 2mm as i dont like big grout lines..).
I was wondering how much height over the level compound all of that would add:4mm(ditra+adhesive), and then 18mm(12mm tiles plus the bed of adhesive that when pressed down will probably be 6mm), total 22/22 mm.
Are my calculations correct?
Sorry for asking so many questions..

Could someone answer this please I have a similar project on the go and an answer from someone with experience would help me as well. Is he correct?

Reply to Advice on travertine floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.