Discuss Advice on tiling over tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ben987

-
Reaction score
We’re currently having our bathrooms fully redone including stripping back, boarding, tiling, suite etc. The works have been instructed through one company, who have sub-contracted out the tiling works.

Today we’ve had the tiler confirm he’s finished, however I haven’t been happy with the quality of the work at all. To me, the cuts have been badly done (allowing just a few cm of tile in some corners), the trim around the window was shocking and such.

I’ve flagged it with the main company and they have said that they’ll get the window fully sorted (and have stripped out the bad work) and the two badly done walls re-tiled.

One thing is that they have said ‘for ease’ they will be tiling over the badly measured ones. The same tiles will be going on, just adjusted sideways to avoid nasty corner cuts.

Is this fine to do? I’ve read mixed reviews online so thought it’s best to ask for professional advice. Some have said fine, some have said fine with a lot of prep work, and some have said an absolute no go.

The re-tiling is already adding on a day and a half of work so we don’t want to drag it any further if tiles on tiles are fine, but also don’t want a botch job that may cause us issues in the not so distant future!

If tile on tiles is fine, is there anything we should make sure they are doing prep wise first, or is it just a no-go?

08E6E894-4DBB-4101-8A1B-57F66CDE4DC8.jpeg

589367D9-99A5-4C3C-86CE-05F3ECA0A238.jpeg

E18038E5-9753-4F1E-B9B7-77ACB253D77A.jpeg

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I wouldnt accept that. You should have them all ripped off and re done properly. If for no other reason, you will be losing an additional thickness of tile and adhesive from the edge of the bathtub, meaning you'll struggle to stand any shower gel, shampoo etc on the edge of the bath. They look small, light tiles, so weight might not be an issue, however it might be meaning you risk the wall collapsing and also they look to be a very glossy tile, so i'd be concerned tiling onto tile for that reason aswell (getting a good grip onto the face of the glossy tiles). It's just a job not being done properly and if they are a main contractor, you should demand they do it the right way in my opinion.

Susiequ

TF
Reaction score
Fully agree with eddcottee. Those corners are atrocious. A professional tiler would have set out the placing of tiles to totally avoid that.

Reply to Advice on tiling over tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks