Search the forum,

Discuss Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thomashenry

Have a bathroom installation in process. Has become clear that the company is not good at tiling. First of all, they tiled at different levels on opposite walls, so when the adjoining wall was tiled, the tiles didn't line up.

They re-did it, but have left a gap between the ceiling and tiles of around 20-30mm (varies as ceiling is not totally level). At the bottom, there is a gap of 15mm from the tiles to the floor tiles, all the way round the room. They say this gap will be grouted.

To me this is poor - they should have layed the tiles out to avoid large gaps like this, with half tiles at the top and bottom.

Added to this, there are three outer corners, and they have tried 3 times to get these right, and keep messing it up. They are trying again..... but even if they are able to do this to a reasonable standard, the issue with the large grouted gaps at the top and bottom remain.

In order to get a perfect job, the whole thing will need re-tiling, which is obviously a huge waste of time, money and resources - just for what some people would consider a minor cosmetic thing. Because of this, part of me is thinking to just accept the flaws, ask for some money off the and get on with life - nobody is going to die.... on the other hand, it's a poor job.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
Nah, basin tap.

Under the shower?

Maybe it’s fully tanked wetroom because it’s having a freestanding bath with a shower over?!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I have a Lusso stone Resin Basin in my place.

That sort of gear warrants the best fitter, not what you have.

I’d want things to be millimetre perfect if that was my house, not to the nearest half inch.

He should be grateful he got the right house!!! Or maybe not!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

2DB51E05-0490-47A6-B1C6-5F7C46A182F4.png
Fitted mine myself!
Accurate to 6inches before a glass of wine.

If they've got facebook, my builder, checkatrade accounts etc. leave an honest review, pointless slating them, just say what you've said on here, the rest of there work was fine but tiling standards fell well short of british standards. Maybe some of floor tiles cut to make a skirting board around the floor could cover the gap, I haven't seen the tiles used but sometimes it can look ok, better than grout, is the grout used gonna blend in the tiles or add a contrast? Add some pics for us to see you'll get loads of ideas to stop it looking bad!

T

thomashenry

I agree that it's not good to just get angry and slate people in reviews. Makes you look unreasonable, and most people reading it probably dismiss the review as coming from an angry tosser!

They've "finished" the job now, and I gave them several chances to try and rectify some of the poor workmanship. A few of the issues have been resolved, but not the main ones. The silicon bead around the bottom of the wall where it meets the floor is absolutely horrific - looks like a really bad DIY job.

Any ideas on how this can be salvaged/dealt with (short of doing the whole thing again - I don't think I can face that), would be appreciated.

The ceiling could be dealt with easily enough with another layer of plasterboard, I think.

The bottom of the walls just seem beyond redemption to me though.

IMG_20181001_154549.jpg IMG_20181001_154554.jpg IMG_20181001_154607.jpg IMG_20181001_154614.jpg IMG_20181001_154625.jpg IMG_20181001_154733.jpg IMG_20181001_154742.jpg

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I think a skirting tile will spoil the minimal and clean look that the design is meant to have. The ceiling I'm actually not too bothered about, yes it's crap but your eye isn't drawn there, and if it continues to bother me, lowering the ceiling is an easy enough job.
Never going to make a job of the silicone. The gap is way too big.
Very poor set out!
Really the floor needs to come up and backer board put down to allow the tiles to be brought up. Or as a less messy way. Re tile over the existing to get rid of the gap

T

thomashenry

Never going to make a job of the silicone. The gap is way too big.
Very poor set out!
Really the floor needs to come up and backer board put down to allow the tiles to be brought up. Or as a less messy way. Re tile over the existing to get rid of the gap

They cut thin strips of tile to go at the bottom, not sure if you can see those in the picture. They didn't look great but the silicone has made everything look a whole lot worse. Surely only a small little bead is needed, not the huge amount that's been put down?

Reply to Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement