Search the forum,

Discuss 11,400 jobs will be lost in the construction sector due to VAT rise. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i beleive there will be job losses yes,to what numbers though i have no idea,and as the article says ,rogue traders and poorer qulaity job will be getting done in ways to make more money and for cash jobs

i do see it as a negative step

S

Spud

most builders and developers have their budget for each developement worked out months in advance, most are vat registered so it will not affect them in any way ,the domestic market has slowed off a good bit since the high point pre credit crunch, there are loads of good deals on materials around and i think retailers will absorb the costs on stock items until easter, most jobbing tilers sail below the vat threshold so dont charge it on the labour so i dont think there will be as much as an effect as some people may think ,the biggest danger imo will be inflation

F

faithhealer

The Vat decrease had little effect on anything so I dont think the increase will affect as much as the media would like us to believe

M

mikethetile

the fmb has had a bee in its bonnet about vat for as long as I can remember, 20 yrs ago they had a campaign declaring un vated tradesmen to be cowboys and chancers encouraging the public to avoid any builder/tradesmen that doesnt charge vat

the fmb are another useless organisation that does nothing for its members and the public are clueless as to who they actually are. I was preselected for membership as I had traded for over 5 yrs without any complaints to trading standards, I was also given a special introductory deal. I sent my money off and got my van sticker, certificate, and magazines. none of which was rele vent to my business as I wasnt a builder, I was a contractor.............big difference

I didnt renew my membership

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
most builders and developers have their budget for each developement worked out months in advance, most are vat registered so it will not affect them in any way ,the domestic market has slowed off a good bit since the high point pre credit crunch, there are loads of good deals on materials around and i think retailers will absorb the costs on stock items until easter, most jobbing tilers sail below the vat threshold so dont charge it on the labour so i dont think there will be as much as an effect as some people may think ,the biggest danger imo will be inflation

Couldn't agree more bud.

As for the FMB, I agree with that statment too. In fact most of those organisation's are a waste of time.

Reply to 11,400 jobs will be lost in the construction sector due to VAT rise. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen