Currently reading:
working for a large house building company

Discuss working for a large house building company in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

top tiler

you will be on a monthly valuation once the house is finished but if the survayor is off or sick or you missed the cut of date or accounts are sick you will wait for your money. all the time you are still tiling other houses,it can take sometimes up to 3 months to get paid for your first invoice.make sure you have deep pockets. if you need to be paid straight away dont work for big builders.

I used to a bit for Persimmon in years gone by.....

They pay per house type - i.e. - £1500 for an Amberley, £1000 for a Grosvener, etc., etc...

Then if there are any customer specified extras, i.e. kitchen floor or full height instead of half, I used to quote for the works first so they could pass that on to the customer before they gave the go ahead.:hurray:

If you're quick there's canny money to be made and I never waited for money from Persimmon - mind you they were selling houses for fun back then, not sure what they'll be like now.

J

jamie B

worked for persimmons for about 5 years, as stated above all subbed out.
To be honest it wasn't bad at all (if you can stand the 'routine' of tiling the same plots day in day out) the money used to be good 'cos you're on meterage and you can literally fly thru plots once you get going. Plus you've got it as a backbone of work to dip in and out of (as long as you keep up with the programme!) also helps if it's a good crew of site agents and other trades as I was lucky enough to have. Price -wise tho I imagine it's a different ball game now..if I remember rightly we were on £19 pm walls and £25 pm floors..all ceramic Porselanosa tile..and extra for linear borders (this was a few years back remember!) which might not sound a lot to some people..but with no obstacles in a new plot you can seriously fix some meters!! unfortunately I have worked also for other big builders (who i shan't name!) where it's been hideous!!..all depends on luck of the draw and good management!!:thumbsup:

Reply to working for a large house building company in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers? I'll tell you a funny story about how I got a job with Topps Tiles Newcastle and got top sales...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.