Search the forum,

Discuss Wickes Crema Marfil Stone Effect Ceramic Tile - OK for Wetrooms? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jools4001

My wife has MS so we're currently taking out the original roll top bath that she can no longer get into or out of (even with a chair lift) and turning the bathroom into a wetroom.
Chose the Wickes Crema Marfil effect ceramic tiles and ordered on-line because they've got a good price on them, get good reviews and looked as if they would be fine for the job. There is nothing specific on the Wickes site that says 'not suitable for wetrooms' but they've just turned up and there is a list of applications on the side of each box that has a tick in the box for everything apart from wetrooms and exterior.
The pic on the on-line catalogue shows these tiles on the whole of the bathroom floor, on all the walls (including the walls of the shower enclosure) and everywhere apart from the shower tray itself, so I can't see why these would not be suitable for a wetroom. The only reason I can think of is that they might not be great on slip resistance (although this must also be a potential hazzard stepping out of the shower tray that Wickes illustrate onto these tiles with wet feet).
Slip resistance shouldn't be a big issue because the area covering the wetroom former and about 150mm outside of that is going to be filled with different (yet to be sourced) mosaic tiles of a complementary colour and a non-slip surface (approx 1.2 - 1.5m square overall), so effectively running the Wickes tiles up to this area is pretty much the same as tiling round a shower tray isn't it? I guess they'll get wet from getting splashed, but they won't be right under the shower.
My wife won't be walking into, or standing, in the shower anyway - she'll be getting pushed into and out of the shower in a shower chair with wheels, either by me or one of the carers. As for me, I'll take my chances.
I've tried the Wickes customer services without much joy, anybody here have any ideas about why thay shouldn't be used? I don't really want the bother of all the return/replacement hassle

K

kendo1

I would imagine that if they are shown as being fitted on bathroom floor, they should be suitable.

Remember that most folks are at work if you are waiting for a fast reply. I'm having a half day :)
Ken

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Any ceramic tile should be fine on walls and floors providing it's a floor tile. You'll get wall tiles that are not meant for floors, but not the other way around (although some floor tiles wouldn't look right on walls to be fair but I bet they get used still and it is just cosmetic).

If they've shown it on the floor, it's fine on the floor.

Make sure you tank/waterproof the walls and floor first. The tiles, adhesives and grout are not waterproof or water tight. Adhesive, grout and the biscuit on the back of a ceramic tile will all allow water to pass through them, but will not break down (providing you've used cement-based adhesives).

So to prevent every having to do this again, or repairing the work in months to come, make sure you use a 'tanking kit' on the walls and floor at the very least in the area where the shower will be, if not a couple of meters into the room too just to be sure. It's basically a paint type coating that you apply with a brush, roller or plasterers trowel which then becomes the barrier that water will not pass through. Do it right and all the water will go down the trap as it is meant to, even if it is behind the tiles.

S

Stewart

While they may be shown on a floor, I wouldn't recommend ceramic tiles for a wet room floor as the biscuit can be quite absorbent which can lead to discolouration of the tile due to water ingress from prolonged submersion.....

Reply to Wickes Crema Marfil Stone Effect Ceramic Tile - OK for Wetrooms? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen