Search the forum,

Discuss Why Adhesive Back Of Hardiebacker Type Boards Over Chipboard? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hehe, that's difficult when you don't know what normal is in the first place :). As you say i'll take a look and see if its lumpy. For this purpose from what i'm told its only meant to be a filler really, so may as well use it and save wasting 30quid.

Its probably not wise to admit i ripped the bathroom out over a year ago is it? :D

Just one last thing 3_fall before i leave the thread, i asked about screws but the question got lost it seems. Can i just use drywall screws with this boarding? i want to use something shorter than the hardie 32mm ones
Turbo gold screws from screw fix are spot on ..:)

O

One Day

You can tile direct to chipboard. Oh yes you can.
But there are a few big IFS.
If the chipboard is not P5 i.e. waxy coating which will interfere with a bond.
If the floor is well braced and free of excessive deflection.
If you use a very high quality adhesive such as BAL Fastflex, Tilemaster Ultimate, Kerakoll Rapidflex.
If you are prepared to risk it and are confident that you can do everything spot-on!

B

bcd-87

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I really thought the whole point was to not get the chipboard wet though? Maybe water from the adhesive won't soak into it fast enough, but i'm dubious about that.

If the floor is level and flat (i'll double check but i think its pretty much spot on), can i just screw down the hardie? I read somewhere you can just use a bit of silicone or something on the back of the boards for the purpose of leveling any small unevenness?

Listen to the pros pal

Reaction score
and the poor blokes who wasted their time, their own free time, unpaid, to come round and give there advice and to quote, all with absolutely zero chance of actually winning the work.

Plenty of homeowners think that they can call people round to pick their brains for information on how to do the job with no intention of ever paying anyone.

(fairplay 1 or 2 gave poor advice like).

Just the way I read it and obviously its just my humble opinion..

S

sg86

and the poor blokes who wasted their time, their own free time, unpaid, to come round and give there advice and to quote, all with absolutely zero chance of actually winning the work.

Plenty of homeowners think that they can call people round to pick their brains for information on how to do the job with no intention of ever paying anyone.

(fairplay 1 or 2 gave poor advice like).

Just the way I read it and obviously its just my humble opinion..

Probably best if you pipe down and keep your assumptions to yourself.

I never said i was doing the tiling, the two who are in line to do it asked me to prep the floor myself, all my questions were about the floor not the tiling. I am a tradesman myself and know what it's like to quote and not win jobs.

Martyn, professional tiler - not very humble

S

sg86

Ok! So we won't take this conversation any further
or I'll just lock the thread down.
Thank you kindly!
Have a nice day! :)

3_fall, really appreciate the answers i got from you and others, i've ordered all the bits and will give it a go on the weekend :)

Reaction score
Good response.

Not sure why someone would ask for you to prep the job for them, a process you've not done before, with materials you've not used. I wouldn't & neither would 99% of the users on here either.

But good luck with it and I hope your man does a good job for you..

Reply to Why Adhesive Back Of Hardiebacker Type Boards Over Chipboard? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen