Search the forum,

Discuss Which voltage drill to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Terry Cottar

Thanks, but that's a bit out of my price range, are Makita a reliable brand then? Recommend these over Dewalt and Bosch?

This is the sort of thing you buy once and once only. I have had my ELU which you can't buy anymore for nearly 12 years and apart from two batteries its still going strong. I bought an additional cheaper Makita with a makita screwdriver a few months ago 14V with two batteries and a case for £149 on offer from Screwfix it was the worst mistake I made. I wish I had spent £300+ and bought the 18V LXT with three batteries. There is someone on here who says "Buy Cheap Pay Twice" how right that is. Take my advice and spend the money or you will regret it if it's a tool you use daily. Fair enough if you use it occasionally the cheapo will do.

tel

H

hillhead

£198 on that site with 2 batteries !! good offer,i could do with second battery soon .

G

Gazzer

14.4 volt Makita from Screwfix years ago, 2 batteries and its still going well £99 , but if you have the extra funds the Li batteries are the ones to go for. Check the size of the chuck, you want as big as possible about 13mm seems to be fine for most needs.

S

Stan001

I would also second 18v minimum and the highest current rated battery you can get. I use Makita and Bosch. I would also second the statements ref buying cheap. The cool thing about Makita is they are a made in the UK or Japan (look on the metal label to check) so probably the quality is still there, and their returns policy / customer support I’ve heard is very good. If you buy Bosch then buy Bosch blue not the green ones, the blue are the trade spec with metal gearboxes etc, the green are DIY spec with plastic internals. Don’t forget that when you start buying rechargeable you really start committing to a system of tools that will all use the same battery interface. So make sure the Makita, Bosch, DeWalt range etc. has enough toys in there to keep you happy in the future.
p.s. you also need to get a good charger thrown in – they cost a fortune bought separately.
p.p.s. my fav tool in my big box is a Makita 800W SDS drill - totally abused for the last two years and works perfect each time - hummmm - power tools - purrrrrrrr :drool5:

D

Deleted member 1779

We've got 2 x Dewalt 14v which we bought from Screwfix a year ago for £99 each.

br3a.jpg

Its still the same deal but the voltage is 18v now and not 14v.

For drilling tiles (and we do thousands of demos a year) these are good enough it just means we change the batteries about 4 times a day.

A 14V drill will be "man enough" for drilling tiles. But if you can get more for your money then go for it....!

br5a.jpg

At 14V these drills from a year ago do fine. But the spec is now 18V for the same money

Oh and the reason its de-branded is because they wouldnt let us show anything on Dragons Den.
den2.jpg

Dewalt would have loved it if Peter Jones was showing their make on the BBC.....

So it was out with the label peelers and the alcohol rub !

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dagger

i have learned that for drilling you need low speed and high torque, my dewalt mixer drill is just perfect!

i have a 18v dewalt cordless cant remember the model number but it cost a fortune(£280) , it is great for construction, but it is way to quick for drilling, unless you have a free supply!
oh and by the way 365, if you send me some free drill bits i will let you know how they fare on both of my drills!:lol::lol:

Reply to Which voltage drill to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen