Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss When to use a finishing tool on grout? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Crumbs

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, im sorry if this is a stupid question... cant seem to find a clear cut answer on it.

At what stage do you use a finishing tool / dowel or whatever suits for grout lines?
Is it after its dried for 10 mins as that would be when the joints are cleaned if using a sponge? or another time?

Thanks alot. :D

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

There is no hard and fast rule. As an apprentice you tend to grout every day for months before you even fix a tile and it's during this time that you can feel/understand the joint drying. The grout has to harden sufficiently enough to stay in the joint at a high level, but be soft enough to take out without 'pulling' an uneven line. The humidity of the air has an important effect on drying and consequently the final polish of the face of the tile surface/glaze. The 'tooling' stick itself is important, and for years before washing off, I used a drumming stick with rounded end prior to polishing with a white 't' shirt!
Happy days!

OP
C

Crumbs

Thanks guys i will use it just before i sponge (after 10 mins or so) its properly obsolete in the professional scene but us diy warriors use them still :cool: I did try with a sponge but did not seem as consistant compared to a tool.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

What the tooling stick does is ensures the grout is pushed fully into the joint and gives a uniform finish to the tile edge. On anything over a 3mm joint it is still an essential part of a Tilers tool box!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Never used one either...
I feel a poll coming on...
John might be a billy no mates..

As I said it's an essential part of a Tilers tool box!;)
You should try it on your Metro splash back tiles to rake out the bevelled edges.
Modern grouts are more reason to rake the joint - they require less water on the surface to clean away any excess thus keeping the consistency of the grout equal.
But what do I know - 44 years of watching people do it their own way!
Billy no mates - your spot on.

OP
T

Tile Shop

Never tried one. When I first got taught grouting, I was shown to go over the joints in a crisscross diagonal direction. That way it doesn't pull the grout out of the joint getting rid of the need to use a finisher.

But I'm gonna try one now, cuz no matter what method or sponge I use to clean the grout off there is still the odd patch that I have to go back an pay a bit of extra attention to to get it right. Need more practice.

OP
C

Crumbs

Thanks guys, i used a virtex finshing tool in the end, only cost a few ÂŁ from screwfix. :cool: But in places it does look like its taken to much grout out, most likely slightly different size lines. The tile above causes light shadows onto the grout lines. Think the tool is likely better suited for smaller gaps.

Any tips on what i can use, i used spacers 3mm for tile.
Also can i grout on top of it or am i better raking the areas out? Nice one thx ;)

OP
Q

Qwerty

Care to elaborate on your 'disagree' comment @Brian the Tile ? Which of my comments did you disagree with? What are your thoughts on using a grout finishing tool.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I really cant see how you can get a perfect finish by just using a sponge ,the only time i dont point the joints is with mosaic or most floors ive never been able to get a good finish without ,what about metro tiles ,the same thing ?

Reply to When to use a finishing tool on grout? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock