Search the forum,

Discuss When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Personally I would never ditra onto floorboards as this won't stabilise the floor, even if it is solid it's too many separated peices of wood for me, I've always over boarded with Hardi backer or no more ply 6mm or 9mm if possible glued with polyurethane adhesive and screwed......bombproof :thumbsup:

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I don't always use them. Heated floor of a large size, yes. Small heated floor, not unless I'm fixing some weak stone. Fresh screed, yes. Anhydrite screed, always (at least until I'm convinced by gypsum adhesive). Typical thought process is highlighted by a job I'm soon taking on... 300sqm of high quality porcelain onto heated anhydrite screed. In theory i can tile direct using gypsum adhesive. Will i risk 15k worth of tiles popping? No way. Its ditra for me.

That gypsum based adhesive scares me too impish!.....don't mind laying the decoupling membrane with it ( Bal rapid mat mostly ) then flexi cement based addy

S

Stef

That gypsum based adhesive scares me too impish!.....don't mind laying the decoupling membrane with it ( Bal rapid mat mostly ) then flexi cement based addy
I've done a few gypsum floors & give me them any day over a cement screed.
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE

Are gypsum based adhesives recommended with British standards??.....I'm sure even if it comes to annhy screeds then British standards recommend priming then cement base addy:confused2:

Can any of you technical gurus confirm???

S

Stef

I'm not sure what British standards state but why take the chance of putting cement in contact with gypsum when they are not compatible unless you create a barrier between the 2?

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

W

White Room

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

They probably haven't caught up yet or haven't a clue about usage of it....

Reply to When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen