Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss what to do... in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi peeps been a member here for a while now looking for advice about my situation,been employed at the moment for 12 months but my boss has work that's nearly 2 hours away,plus only have and small company van,it doesn't take a days work on site.so I'm thinking about going self-employed,subby work.I have been tiling for about 5 years now,got my own tools,and van,don't know if I can make that jump....to self employed

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Says below your name ...tiling for 1 year on and off ?

Anyway depends how much work you got or can get. Maybe do your own work on weekends to build a client base first..

S

Stef

Best thing I ever done was make the jump, a real struggle to start with but I'm now reaping the rewards as I'm flat out with work & turn jobs away on a regular basis.
It might not work for all but it certainly works for me.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
seems to be plenty of work out there right now, some of the prices are a bit tight , but if you have the speed you will still make good money.

good luck

D

David Rowell

Make the jump and go theres plenty a work out there. Im at the end of year one
I wont lie it was a slog for the first 6 months but i joined the hated pay for lead sites
They arent ideal but have kept me a float on a fee occassions and once you build a good rep
You wont struggle win work. I also contacted builders in my area which liked the work i bang out so
I dont struggle anymore.

Persistance is key and dont give up. But the end of the day its your choice

S

steve-tiler

Its a risk, but one that will pay off if you want it to. If your good your reputation will soon get the work in.
I started up for myself in October last year and it took until after xmas to take off.
I am not working flat out but doing more than enough to pay the bills and business is building each month.

So you have got to look at the postives and the negatives and if its right go for it!

Reaction score
If you do go for it, take business cards into your local tile centres and ask them to give them out.
And, if you do get work through them, make sure you buy all you need for the job through them, but be sure to ask for trade discount.

Reply to what to do... in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks