Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What tile cutter? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Liamjay

Hi all,

You probably have heard this question a thousand and one times.......

Ive just bought a load of must have kit today (trowls, spacers, squeegys, scribers etc) But after looking around alot of the cutters seem pretty rubbish build quality.

Im wanting to start out self employed as a tiler so i want something that will last me, however i dont want to be paying well over the odds.

Firstly, what size do i need?? Is bigger better??? I nipped into topps and had a look at some Rubi's (TS 60 Plus, TS 60, TS40, TS 40 Plus) but ive heard alot about sigmas, but obviously prices vary depending on model and size, so which is best?!?!?

I dont want to be paying massive amounts as well, for something that has facilities i not use, i would rather have something to fit the job in hand (if that makes sense).

Again with Rubi's i think you get more with your money then the Sigmas, and Rubi spares are more easily available ive been told?

My budget is around £200ish.....So whats your thoughts???

Please help! :)

W

White Room

I started off with a rubi ts40 but the tiles were smaller then, now there getting bigger and have just purchased a sigma 3DM for 900mm tiles.....you will need a variation of cutter sizes but a 600mm would be average now.....

L

Liamjay

Thats what i was thinking, i might get a second hand Tx700n as i think i can get one of these in my price range, as i cant justify £300 for a TS60 Plus brand new from the likes of topps,

Do you have any advice on the best websites online to buy new?

W

White Room

Remember you will have porcelain to cut, from my understanding is the TS plus can struggle a bit...

I just sold a TX 700n for £235 and the guy told me he had been looking for 2 months and had lost to higher bidders, so if you can get one for £200 your doing well...

The big clinker dos'nt seem a bad buy to start with, maybe worth a look..

L

Liamjay

Remember you will have porcelain to cut, from my understanding is the TS plus can struggle a bit...

I just sold a TX 700n for £235 and the guy told me he had been looking for 2 months and had lost to higher bidders, so if you can get one for £200 your doing well...

The big clinker dos'nt seem a bad buy to start with, maybe worth a look..

My budget is around £200 lol,

The Big clinker....Is that the QEP one? Ive seen it for £109.99, seems a good price but whats the quality and and spare parts etc like compared to the likes of a rubi, sigma or even montolit?

Thanks again

Liam

W

White Room

If your starting out the clinker would be a good choice, when you find your feet then you be able to buy a better one later on....

L

Liamjay

have you used one? whats the quality and feel of it like?? Ive played with the rubi, and i want something quality (if that makes sense) as i know im just starting out, but i wanted to buy something that will last along time. I would rather pay double and keep it for 10 years then half and get rid of it after a year (if that makes sense) :-S

But you know better then me..........Im confuesed lol...Clinker or not to clinker haha.

S

Stef

You can get a Sigma 3cm for £300 off e-bay.

I wouldnt bother with a ts 60+, they can cut porcelain but not very good, i have a ts 60 & it cuts porcelain better than my mates 60+.

I got a tomecanic supercoup 75 off e-bay for £200 & it eats porcelain but im seriously considering selling it to my uncle & buying the Sigma as i keep hearing how good a cutter they are.

W

White Room

Or there is Genesis which do a few sizes, I have a 400 which I have used but now in storage..

Super Pro 600mm Tile Cutter 987 - £70.99 - www.protiletrim.co.uk

I

Ian

I had a clinker before I got a TX700, great cutter but not the best build quality, it started cutting off line and got a bit wobbly after 6 months or so, a disposable cutter IMO.

R

ruairi mac

If you go for the sigma, as long as you treat it right the only parts you will ever need for it is a replacement cutting wheel.

Reply to What tile cutter? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks