Search the forum,

Discuss What do topps tiles need to do to fix their bad reputation? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
ive had nothing but bad experiences with my local topps...

every job i seem to do with there tiles seems to come in 2 or 3 different batches, basic mistakes you expect from a diy shed, but not from a large retail tile outlet, they even gave one customer 3 different batches and told her thats all they had left take it or leave it, and still charged her full retail price....:mad2:

i had a topps trade card, dont know if they still do them, but if i buy anything from there i get 5%off, they say if i use the store more i will get a better discount, why would i do that? i can go to 3 other local tile shops and get between 35 and 40% off retai stright away, and thats if i use them once a week, once every 6 months or once a year!!

store lolyalty was for 5/6 years ago, this day and age traders go where the best prices are, surely topps make money on there full trade price? is it not best to make something reather than nothing...

i actually talk customers out of buying tiles from topps, because i cant make any money supplying them, as ive said they need to rethink there trade prices..

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I think Topps are very good, both with service and delivery etc. That said lately they have been doing what a few of you are saying regarding there staff turnover. Which is a bit worrying. I use Toppfix adhesive most of the time, never had any issues with it. But they are now charging too much for it to be honest. I agree with Andy in that they need to rethink trade prices if they want to keep traders or attract new trade.

Did not use them for a few years only use ctd did not like the manager but now they have a new manager I've started to use them a bit more I think they do have there little click of tilers that get better deals and work,so I am classed as a new boy just have to work my way up the ladder,I do like Bal thats one of the reason for using them but any bulk still go to ctd,mind you the new manager said he would beat ctd's prices.

B

Bubblecraft

I haven't used Topps for years but when I did I know they do have their favourite Tilers who are regulars and that puts off new trade IMO.

It's so true. They are not aloud to recommend tilers. For long enough, they took business cards off the desk altogether but they've got them back up now. I know a while back they recommended a certain tiler to a customer & he majorly screwed it up. Wasn't just tiling. Was too big a job for him. They got their asses kicked for that one!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
If you don't use them for three months you get put on half trade then 6 months 1/3 trade then 9 months account closed.

Ctd run this way also. Not sure exactly how much they put you on but they do.

I disagree mate - maybe if you are an architect buying £1000s a month then yes you would probably get a further discount, but CTD offer trade and public alike the same trade discount along with deals run each month for trades.
I haven't used Topps in 3 years when they wanted £48 for a bag of BAL SPF (And I had a trade card)
They did say I could get better discount if I use them more often, or I can go to CTD and pay half that without a trade account.
I know which approach attracts loyalty and which one gives a bad rep.

Reply to What do topps tiles need to do to fix their bad reputation? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen