Search the forum,

Discuss Wet Room Project - Am I mad? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JonF

Hi,

I would be grateful for a sanity check re my wet room project. The wife and I are installing a new bathroom / wet room in an old Victorian House. The floorboards are old, tatty and uneven. It has been recommended to us that we use the following (in order):

1. PCS Backer Boards on floor and new stud walls.
  2. Impey Waterguard on the floor and over our Aquadec (we already have one as it was free).
  3. Waterproof tape on wall joints.
  4. Devimat 100W over the Waterguard including the shower tray.
  5. Embed Devimat in SLC.
  6. Adhesive and tiles.

It seems a hell of a lot to do the floor and other suppliers we have spoken to are very unsure about the order of things; especially the Waterguard and Devimat. I'm also worried that I'd be building up the shower tray an awful lot.

Any help anyone could offer to tell us if this is right or wrong would be really appreciated.

Thanks

B

bugs183

Looks about right to me. No wet room is straight forward or cheap to do at all. Remember that you are turning the room into a bath effectively, it has to be completely water tight and there has to be sufficient falls built into the floor to get the water back into the drain. If your floor is old it certainly needs to be replaced, this may involve stiffening and strenghening of the rafters so that there is no movement in the floor. This is critical.

O

One Day

Don't put levelling compound on the tray! It'll run down. Instead, I use a spray foam to build a "dam" around the tray, keeping the levelling compound off.
Don't scrimp on prep. I see so many rooms destroyed by water in vain attempts to save a few quid.
Do it once-do it right.

J

JonF

Thanks for the responses. I know its expensive but wanted to be sure before biting the bullet. I now feel reassured I'm not chucking money away :smilewinkgrin:

Impish. Thanks for the sanity check re the SLC. So obvious it passed me completely by.

Reaction score
bugs183 comments cover most of what you need to do. I find embedding the underfloor heating in slc works better when you batten out the aquadec DSCN0369.jpg I find tile master level flex works well. Dont forget to use a tile primer as needed and good luck.

Reply to Wet Room Project - Am I mad? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen